A Couple New Projects

So i haven't updated this thread in awhile but i have basically finished the s/c. Just finishing the final coats of clear on the neck and headstock.

But i have a problemo. When i sprayed clear on the neck around the heal i have had a little spot go white. Has anyone had this problem before? and what is it?

RIMG0041a.jpg

My guess is to just scrape the finish of this area away and see what it is. There was no visual spot there before the spraying so its got me stumped! :D

Any help would be much appreciated!

Looking good!

RIMG0042a.jpg

so this one will be curing for a couple of weeks before the final buffing and im gonna get to work on the d/c!

• 3 weeks later...

Well i haven't updated this thread in awhile. So anyway whilst i was in the process of buffing out the s/c i had abit of a rubthrough to the bare timber so i have had to respray the area! I was hoping to assemble the guitar today for a gig i have tomorrow night. "The Deadbeats" first wedding! But it will now need to cure for at least two weeks before i can put it together. Nevermind.

So in the meantime i have done abit of work on the d/c. I had to chamber the body quite heavily due to the weight of the spotted gum. It was upto 5kg including the neck and top so its had abit of internal surgery!

RIMG0010a.jpg

You will notice a raised area in the top left of the body to allow abit of thickness for the ribcage carve on the back. I did all this routing freehand as i really didnt think it was necessary to make a template. ( Yeah i know lazy bas***d) The top is on the geewah now so its no big deal! Ive also changed the shape somewhat. Brought it in at the waist and trimmed a little off the hips.

Before

RIMG00032a.jpg

After

RIMG0012a.jpg

I much prefer the shape of the d/c now, although, if i make another one like this i will definately add more length to the overall guitar. Someone asked early on in the thread about the stability of the spotted gum... Well this body and the neck has been sitting in a tin shed all summer with a temperature varying from 40 degrees celsius during the day to 10 DC at night and it has not moved a millimeter. As with the neck still straight as an arrow so im thinking its safe to say its well dry and stable. Anyway enough yabbering back to the workshop for me!

So i have had a crack at a carved top yesterday. Didn't really have much of a plan other than kind of like what a PRS would look like. It sure was quite fun though :D

Ive added some lacquer out of a can so i can see if there is any lumps to knock down and it had a quick coat before i started, that way i could keep a good eye on where i was taking off timber as the lacquered areas are darker!

Some Pics:

RIMG0030a.jpg

RIMG0025a.jpg

RIMG0028a.jpg

It's Not too bad for a first effort i think, although i did take too much off the top when i shaped the neck angle slope. I did have in mind a more severe carve at the waists. But you live and learn :D

So the S/C is all finished :D Im really happy with this guitar. Its sounds much better than i anticipated to be honest and im really happy with the finish!

The specs are:

Body: Semi hollow Jarrah with black plastic binding.

Neck: Victorian ash with Abalone Caro logo inlay.Rosewood FB. 25.125 inch scale or 641mm

P/Ups: Golden age vintage output set ( Surprisingly really good tone for a cheap set of buckers!)

Electronics: 1 Vol, 1 Tone and a coil tap on both neck and bridge p/ups. 3 Way selector switch. Wired through p/up and f holes (no cavity cover).

Hardware: Schaller strap locks, Gibson LP jackplate, Nashville TOM with gotoh tailpiece, Wilkinson mini flatlock tuners and jumbo frets.

Finish: Nitrocellulose

Some Pics:

RIMG0068a.jpg

RIMG0058a.jpg

RIMG0061a.jpg

RIMG0064a.jpg

Back

Front close

Front

Reflection

Fretboard

Abalone inlay (mind the fingerprint!)

Im still a little unsure of the Jarrah truss rod cover, im thinking of plain black but thats no big deal. Anyway off to play it :D

Sorry about the not great quality pics, i only have a point and shoot camera!

Edited by chops1983

Thanks Doug! Its nice that you took some time to give me some feedback! Maybe i should have put opinions welcome. I think i will leave the Jarrah cover, I think it ties in nicely.

Chad.

• 3 weeks later...