Fleabay Saga "style" Kit Transformation/project

nuge67

My Brother in law gave me a $50 fleabay giftcard for christmas. So for an additional $39 on my part I bought one of those "saga style kits". I got what you would expect for $89. The neck was straight, but one fret was missing 1/4 inch from it. The body looked ok. The rest is parts for another project. So after making templates from the body and neck, I set out to transform this strat style body (alder) into a chambered trem equipt squire 51 style guitar.

Here is the chambered body

IMGP10291.jpg

I ran the body thru my planner before chambering. Removed appro 5/16 of an inch.

I put on a one piece poplar top and roughed out a maple neck (3 piece laminated) and cut and shaped a maple fingerboard. Tele style headstock. Here we are so far.

IMGP10331.jpg

so far the guitar weighs 5 lbs 1 oz. A little more wood to remove. Plus I need to decide if it is going to have a rear mount control cavity. I'm leaning that way.

Is it acoustic or something? Or are you gonna rout the pickup holes into the top? Interesting build though, I'd like to see how it goes. Keep us updated.

No its just chambered. Not acoustic. I like the way a semihollow or chambered body sounds better. So all my personal guitars are either chambered bodys or semihollow.

Yes I still need to route for the pickups. Humbucker at the bridge, single coil angled at the neck.

Angled with the treble side towards the bridge. Like a strat neck pickup is angled, but at the neck side.

more pictures will follow

Hey not to hijack your thread but I'm guessing by your name and semi hollow guitar preference you like good old Uncle Ted?

you might say that. I was 12 when I 1st heard Stranglehold. I knew then I had to learn to play guitar. I still have one of my 1st guitars.I got it when I was 14. 27 years later I still own it. A hollowbody 335 ish guitar. But totally hollow. It's ready for another transformation. Anyway, yeah uncle Ted, love his playing.

I've owned a few solid bodys, played a few friends pricey solid bodys and while they were all nice, they just didn't sound like me when I played them. Just a personal preference I guess.

Edited by nuge67

Hah, sweet another Nugent fan. I actually used to post on his message board before he started charging in order to access. I'd rather save the money and buy strings for my guitars than spend money on a site I rarely visit.

But on topic; I like what I see so far. I also like the squier 51 style setup. Eventually I'll pick one up and hotrod one when I can find one on the cheap, but for now I'm happy with my Squier strat, Epi standard les paul, and my project (Or is that problem) Jackson clone.

Hah, sweet another Nugent fan. I actually used to post on his message board before he started charging in order to access. I'd rather save the money and buy strings for my guitars than spend money on a site I rarely visit.

But on topic; I like what I see so far. I also like the squier 51 style setup. Eventually I'll pick one up and hotrod one when I can find one on the cheap, but for now I'm happy with my Squier strat, Epi standard les paul, and my project (Or is that problem) Jackson clone.

same here, I used to post on his site as well, but I'm not gonna pay to post.

This should be a sweet guitar. The body is really resonent. Tap on it and it just has a sweet ring to it. I'll wait for my gfs pickguard comes in before I do anymore. I may use the pickgaurd, or it may just be used for pickup placement. Still trying to decide if I want a pickguard or not.

Heh, I love spirit of the wild. My buddy Gerry and I jam 'Fred Bear' on a regular basis (Sure we cut it short after four or five 'In The Wind, He's Still alive reps), KMA is a riff I play goofing off. We also do Cat Scratch Fever, and I used to know KLSTRPHNKY off of Craveman, still know 'My Baby Likes My Butter On Her Gritz' off of Craveman.

I also know a lot of 70's era Nuge stuff. Back when Derek St Holmes did the singin'.

Back on topic: Any new progress on the beast? I can't wait to see your finished take on it.

Heh, I love spirit of the wild. My buddy Gerry and I jam 'Fred Bear' on a regular basis (Sure we cut it short after four or five 'In The Wind, He's Still alive reps), KMA is a riff I play goofing off. We also do Cat Scratch Fever, and I used to know KLSTRPHNKY off of Craveman, still know 'My Baby Likes My Butter On Her Gritz' off of Craveman.

I also know a lot of 70's era Nuge stuff. Back when Derek St Holmes did the singin'.

Back on topic: Any new progress on the beast? I can't wait to see your finished take on it.

good to see Nuge fans who know more than cat scratch and stranglehold. My band plays stranglehold by request only. It's fun for me to play, but quite boring for the rest of the band. Craveman is a good disc. Spirit of the wild is a really great disc. Derek singing. Lets Ted do what he does best, play.

I just ordered my trem tonight, so I'll have it tuesday night. I need to put the trem in, to lay the rest out, and make a template for the pickguard. I'm getting itchy to get it together.