Shop Humidification

NotYou

I've been having some issues with humidity in my shop. Actually, it's more like lack of humidity. I live in Denver, where the air is dry year round. As it is now, I have to let my wood sit for a while to give it extra drying time or I risk a lot of problems later. Often, the wood will crack from just sitting in the shop.

I'm wondering if any of you have an issue like this and what you do about it. BTW, I can't control my heat except for changing the air flow, which makes it a little more difficult to control humidity.

I'm also concerned about wood swelling if I send an instrument to different state that gets humid. Does anyone think that could be a big issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I've been having some issues with humidity in my shop. Actually, it's more like lack of humidity. I live in Denver, where the air is dry year round. As it is now, I have to let my wood sit for a while to give it extra drying time or I risk a lot of problems later. Often, the wood will crack from just sitting in the shop.

I'm wondering if any of you have an issue like this and what you do about it. BTW, I can't control my heat except for changing the air flow, which makes it a little more difficult to control humidity.

I'm also concerned about wood swelling if I send an instrument to different state that gets humid. Does anyone think that could be a big issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

First I am just north of you in Loveland. Havent been here long but have not had the problems you mention. On my cheapo humidity meter is around 35% today +/-7%. Been thinking about my humidity lately as well and a heater humidifer, but you are talking $200 Plus plumbing work.

Part of the process is to let your wood sit and aclimate to your shop and weather conditions. Buy more than you need for your next project so you have something ready when the time comes. If the wood is checking then find another dealer, so far what hardwood I have bought in my area has been fine. I also work in my basement.

In fact our dry weather makes it possible to work all year long without AC and a dehumidifer running full time during the summer a major plus.

I didn't realize what the actual humidity is here in Denver. It's much higher than I thought. I've only lived here for a few months too. I'm guessing that any issues I've had have been because of poor drying before I got the wood.

I didn't realize what the actual humidity is here in Denver. It's much higher than I thought. I've only lived here for a few months too. I'm guessing that any issues I've had have been because of poor drying before I got the wood.

Try sealing the end grain with either melted wax or a commercial end grain sealer to minimize moisture evaporation. If the moisture is sucked out too fast that causes checking. Also depends on where the wood is from. If it came from an eBay sale, without a moisture meter you have no way to tell what you got. Sealing it is the only solution here whether it needs it or not.

FWIW it is better to build an instrument in dry weather and have it re-hydrate, than the other way around.

+1