Fixing A Hole In A Guitar

I have a flying V copy that has a covered hole in it where the bridge used to be. It is covered with a piece of wood about 1/4 inch thick at the most.

I guess it had a strat type tremelo on it at one point. I see six small screw holes in the deck.

it still has the trem claw/spring area open.

Original specs on this guitar were a solid mounted strat type bridge (non tremelo) with strings running through the body.

I would like to convert it to a tune-o-matic bridge.

How does one go about doing this?

Should I route the holes out to a perfect square and glue a block(s) of wood into it to fill?

I have a trem claw area to fill, and the obvious hole in the top of the guitar that has a 1/4 piece of wood covering it.

Some more info. I have a bigsby trem going on it, and the tune-o-matic bridge has piezos built into it. Going for the Lonnie mack V clone

mackVpromo.jpg

How would you guys fix it, and how much will this screw up the tone?

Edited by billm90

How would you guys fix it, and how much will this screw up the tone?

Would not screw up the tone. Needs to be plugged with a very accurate solid wood full depth plug(s) the tune o matic holes drilled and the inserts installed and then the paint touched up or in your case its easier to refinish the body. Lots of work for a clone.