My First "batch"

This is my first in progress thread. As some of you know, I started my own business recently. I'm doing my first run of multiple guitars. It was going to be three, then four, and now I'm thinking five. :D

I'll post some progress photos later. For right now, I have outlines that I'm using for templates. I've already started planing and gluing wood.

I'll be doing three of these. One is a Jatoba top(carved) and back with maple sandwiched veneer, one is a goncalo alves top(flat) with a walnut back, and the last is a combination of African mahogany and red goncalo alves all dyed black (and selectively sanded... you'll see):

picture3zcn.png

One of these (walnut back with a bubinga top):

picture4lsd.png

And one of these. This one is special. The shape is unusual for a solidbody, but I really love it. I'm going to use homeade chemical stains to "age" the wood on the top (wormy maple) and blacken the wood on the back (walnut). I hope to make the knobs from bone, but I have to find it first:

picture5j.png

I'll most more info and pictures later. This going to keep me very, very busy. (there's a fine line between brlliant and crazy :D )

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! that first one is exactly the same as a shape I designed!!! Ah well, I'm sure there is no guitar shape you can design without another being similar. Do you have the headstock shape planned yet?

Anyway, good luck with the builds!

Sorry about that :D

I was gluing the first wing onto a three piece body of a double cutaway. I looked at it when it was drying and thought it looked really great with only one horn, so I got out some drawing paper and some french curves and came up with that. I think it has a nice bluesy look. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I've always hated poly finishes, but I decided to try out some wipe on poly. I figured since it's rubbed on, it should be much thinner than sprayed and help solve some of the issues I have with polyurethane. This is one coat. I'll add some more tomorrow and take a picture. It has about a 2-3 hour dry time.

So far I'm very impressed with it.

This is a crappy cell phone picture, but it's all i have right now. I'm bad about progress pictures. I'll try to get some this weekend of the bodies.

(note, this body isn't done. There are still some flaws in the wood, like the a couple notches near the top. I just wanted to try this out.)

img0146q.jpg

Also, I changed the line up a little. I'm doing four guitars. One of them now has a redwood body. I got a nice stash recently and wanted to try it. It sounds amazing.

Edited by NotYou