Laser Inlay Youtube Video

First off, let me say that Doug's work is incredible. For those that question why do this with Laser or CNC..It's not the way..OL SCHOOL OLD SCHOOL. Just imagine what someone would have to charge their customer to do this completely by hand. Are you kidding me? What is your time worth. This board would take at least 30-40 hours to cut by hand. I can attest to that as I use to do all my inlays by hand. No fun. Sure if it is your own guitar, but as soon as you need to be concerned about pricing your instruments to the public, your views will change.

Thanks Doug, the guitar came out killer. I am shipping it next week.

Mike

First off, let me say that Doug's work is incredible. For those that question why do this with Laser or CNC..It's not the way..OL SCHOOL OLD SCHOOL. Just imagine what someone would have to charge their customer to do this completely by hand. Are you kidding me? What is your time worth. This board would take at least 30-40 hours to cut by hand. I can attest to that as I use to do all my inlays by hand. No fun. Sure if it is your own guitar, but as soon as you need to be concerned about pricing your instruments to the public, your views will change.

Thanks Doug, the guitar came out killer. I am shipping it next week.

Mike

Have to agree Mike as inlay by hand is a pain in the A** sometimes I would love a CNC for this kind of work but at the moment funds are kinda low but as soon as £££ permit I'm going to invest, would make my customers much happy as you can be competitive with the pricing and this would either make or break a deal.........

• 1 month later...

It all comes down to cost. Im just finishing an inlay on a guitar for my wife and from start to finish as this is my first real inlay its probably taken me like 6 days. This is all good as im building any guitar for myself or my wife with love, but there is no way you would do this for a public job. Unless you could charge for it, but then how do you put a price on it?and at what cost?

I think this machine is great for private or commercial use it just comes down to cost. Can you afford to get doug to make an inlay for you on your own job or will you just do it by hand in the shed. Im keeping cost down by doing it myself(just don't factor in the hours)as this is my hobby. Which ive enjoyed, but i will never sell this guitar! Too much work.

Nice vid Doug. Hope it becomes a great income flow for your buisness! :D

Chad.