Walnut Bass

I must say, I can't seem to decipher what you're going to do with that jig...?

And I would put that body back through the bandsaw for a minute and save yourself a great deal of grief when you start sanding it to shape!

Good luck with the rest of the build.

The general idea of the jig is that you mark out the angle on the work then you clamp it with the line on the edge of the plywood. As the 2 sides of the jig are parallel when you run the thing along the rip fence it cuts a straight cut down the line, better than doing it freehand specially with my bandsaw skills. :D

Yeh i might actually just tidy up some of those edges cheers for the heads up.

Simon

Edited by feral_smurf

Haven't been going at a particularly fast rate, with exams coming up, but today i've managed to sand and carve out the body shape. I'm actually impressed about how quickly this happened, just using a spokesahve and palm sander.

Here's the front

DSC05068.jpg

And the back

DSC05070.jpg

There is a belly carve and an arm carve present but they are no way near as big as a strat.

I haven't done the inside of the horns as they need to be done with rasps and depend on the size of the neck at the join.

Simon

Edited by feral_smurf

• 2 weeks later...

Work is coming along slowly as exams have started fully now. I have cut the neck and shaped it but lots of sanding is still ahead of me.

Just as an off topic question what do people do with body offcuts?

Just wondering, as i now have some nice bits of walnut left over and don't really know what to do with them.

Just though i would post a pic of the stuff i have been doing. It is only a rough mockup but you might be able to get the gist of what this is going to look like.

DSC05075.jpg

The list of things still to do includes sanding, routing all the cavities, probably manage to do some of that over the weekend. I am definitely going to be adding binding to the fretboard to bring the whole design together, i was thinking holly but i am open to ideas.

Edited by feral_smurf

Looks like it's coming together.

I like the F/B where did you get it? I'm not sure what holly is like (it's a light wood isn't it?). I'm thinking light rather than dark binding would be good. But not bright white like plastic.

Looks like it's coming together.

I like the F/B where did you get it? I'm not sure what holly is like (it's a light wood isn't it?). I'm thinking light rather than dark binding would be good. But not bright white like plastic.

The fingerboard is just a stewmac standard 35" scale, preslotted and radiussed. Holly is a nice sort of cream colour.

The fingerboard is just a stewmac standard 35" scale, preslotted and radiussed. Holly is a nice sort of cream colour.

That's what I thought. Sounds good to me.

Well it is now the time for shouting and self loathing, when routing the pickup cavity the template moved causing a ugly, slightly misshapen cavity.

I am asking for a bit on advice for the fix, the options are as follows

1. Just use filler (shavings mixed with glue) to clean up the uglier bits and re-rout

2. Modify a black p-bass pickguard to fit

3. Inlay a wooden pickguard shape peace with correct template size to cover up original cavity (guitar will be clear finished)

4. Use a stroke of a project guitar members genius

This picture show a rough estimation of the pickguard shape:

DSC05088.jpg

Any ideas?

Color wise, sapele would blend in too much with the walnut.

Thanks for the advice avengers, much appreciated i think the grain on oak will also complement the walnut.

Simon

EDIT: have used some of the shavings generated from routing, made them finer in a *coffee grinder* of all things then tried to fill up the cavity edges ready to attempt a second go at routing. I will see how this goes before attempting a mojor job with a piece of oak.

Edited by feral_smurf