String Gauge?

StormLeader

• 3 weeks later...

I usually play Dean Markley, DR, or Ernie Ball. I was using 9-42's for the last 5-6 years, but I have recently gone back to using 10-46's because I like the tone better. The 10 set is definitely a little thicker and beefier sounding, and not quite as thin as a 9 set. I play through bright amps - hand wired 2204 type circuit designs - so I'm still not missing any treble response using 10's. Surprisingly, it only took me a small amount of time to get used to the extra tension of 10's again, even though I typically use a wide finger vibrato. I find that the extra tension actually helps me play a little cleaner during faster runs as well. As pointed out earlier though, so much of this depends on your individual style, sound, tuning, and what you are trying to achieve in your own music. I use either standard tuning or Eb. My style is Hard Rock/Heavy Blues, so none of what I have to say may apply to you. Even though strings have gotten more expensive in the last few years, they are still relatively cheap when it comes to experimenting to find out what works best for you...so I encourage you to experiment! And when you have found what you think you like experiment again in six months; you might be surprised how things may change if you are a young/new player now.

Edited by Stolysmaster