Idea For A New Project: The 5150-1/2

For a while I have been owning a cute little half scale guitar called the "Volcano Rock-a-teer"

24939.jpg

Which is my "play-it-when-sitting-on-my-lazy-chair" guitar, I tune it in A-A tuning.

But the small body and tight cutaways do not make it a serious instrument and so I've toying around with the idea of making a similar guitar but with a bigger body but still smaller than a regular strat sized unit. I also want to make a neck to my own specs for that project. So I've been searching around for wood to use and found a couple of left over pieces of mahogany left from my telecaster built, from which I can make the body and a piece of birdseye maple too short to make a normal sized neck from.

guitar-5150.jpg

And so I began to design a downsized version of Eddie Van Halen's famous striped Kramer. I can use my Gibson explorer to copy the "Banana" headstock shape from and I still have surplus Humbuckers lying around which will be perfect for that, the pickup will be in a slanted position and seeing as how a trem will not work with that scale I'll give it a non trem strings through hardtail but placed on a piece of aluminium in the shape of a Floyd Rose profile to at least get the look right.

As I'm writing this down, I'm just finishing up the pencil designs for this project. They will serve as a base to make my routing templates from.

As always, I'll keep you guys informed.