Epiphone Sg Refinish Questions

This is the guitar in question.

EpiphoneG400FlameTopElectricGuit-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure it is a photo flame. If anyone can confirm this, it would be much appreciated.

I have a few questions:

1. I'm planning on doing a veneer for the top. (ebony or bubinga most likely). Will the veneer be able to bend over the bevels too? or will I run into problems there?

2. I'm planning on filling in the neck pickup cavity. Will I regret this later down the road if I want to remove the neck? I only ask because it's a set neck.

Thanks

Edited by metalhead6061

Most likely, that is a photo flame, which is why they went for the sunburst. And so will you, unless you come up with a clever way to transition from the top to the bevels. Veneer will not be able to follow that edge.

Just give it a try: take a regular piece of paper (like for your printer), and wrap that around an orange. Didn't work to well, did it? That's the problem you will have with the veneer.

As far as filling the cavity, that's totally up to you. It can be un-done, but it's just more work. Not impossible, just more work. Do you have the skill and the patience to perform that surgery when the time comes? Only you know that...

Most likely, that is a photo flame, which is why they went for the sunburst. And so will you, unless you come up with a clever way to transition from the top to the bevels. Veneer will not be able to follow that edge.

Just give it a try: take a regular piece of paper (like for your printer), and wrap that around an orange. Didn't work to well, did it? That's the problem you will have with the veneer.

As far as filling the cavity, that's totally up to you. It can be un-done, but it's just more work. Not impossible, just more work. Do you have the skill and the patience to perform that surgery when the time comes? Only you know that...

I agree

I would leave the sides and back finish intact and just veneer over the top then blend the new top color and sunburst into the old finish.