Cutting Pick Guards

Couldn't find much specific info in a search. Does anyone have any comments on these points, or can direct me to a post on pick guards?

1) I don't have a bandsaw, so am going to use a fine-toothed jigsaw blade to rough cut the shape. This vigorous cutting method is not going to shatter the material or anything is it?

2) When I rout the edge, what sort of router speed should I be looking at? I was thinking too fast would heat it and melt it, but too slow would slow the cut, leaving the bit on the same spot longer and also causing some melt.

3) I don't have a chamfer bit, so will use my roundover bit. I think it will still make the layers stand out ok.

4) On an inside edge, it is going to be right up against the mounting ring for one of my pick ups. Do you think I should round this part over, or make it a straight cut?

(It's W/B/W layers.)

1) I don't have a bandsaw, so am going to use a fine-toothed jigsaw blade to rough cut the shape. This vigorous cutting method is not going to shatter the material or anything is it?

No

2) When I rout the edge, what sort of router speed should I be looking at? I was thinking too fast would heat it and melt it, but too slow would slow the cut, leaving the bit on the same spot longer and also causing some melt.

Its not like plexi and will cut just fine

3) I don't have a chamfer bit, so will use my roundover bit. I think it will still make the layers stand out ok.

You can also cut straight and use a scaraper or a razor blade as a scraper to angle the edge. It easier just to buy the proper bit.

4) On an inside edge, it is going to be right up against the mounting ring for one of my pick ups. Do you think I should round this part over, or make it a straight cut?

Straight of course

Um wouldn't it be better to use a coping saw and then do the edges using a small fine flat file and some wet and dry? I'm new at all this so this is just my opinion on how I would try doing it.

I might actually use a coping saw to get the ends of the bits that go toward the horns. Good idea. As far as the overall process, I am going by StewMac's info on how to do it. http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Pickguards/i-5243.html They call it a pickguard bevel, but it's just a chamfer bit.

You can also cut straight and use a scaraper or a razor blade as a scraper to angle the edge. It easier just to buy the proper bit.

Well, I do need one anyway...

Thanks for the input!

I use a jigsaw to rough shape.

Any hardware store will have a chamfer bit, i got a set of 12 router bits for 20nzd ($10us) 3 years later they're still good.

4): up to you, straight cut is standard, but angled/rounded would work fine if you want to see the white layer.