crap-o-la!.

im not investing THAT much money in wood. tops about 50 bucks on the body. i've spent about 35 already and I need this piece which i think will be birdseye which I'm guessing will be about 20 and I also need the wood for the neck. so that brings me to about 80 tops for wood. electronics tack on about 150 plus stain 30 bah its about 250 tops for everything i'm counting out some things cause im tired. Yes i'm doing the deep tenon. i dont see why everyone says its so hard. it doesnt seem very hard.

Well, the money really is my secondary point. You're building a guitar using exotic woods and then taking a bunch of that wood away in order to put a floating trem on there, which further isolates the strings from the wood by its very design.

My other main point is that you're making a guitar that is VERY complicated and you don't have any experience making simpler instruments. It's a very fast way to get overwhelmed or frustrated if it's not working out as planned, causing you to abandon the whole project. You say it doesn't seem hard, but lots of things seem easy until you actually try them.

You've gotta learn to walk before you run. A simple two-piece body with a bolt-on neck is a great way to learn most of the core skills you'll need to start working on more complex instruments. Things like carving, cutting, routing, gluing, fretwork, electronics, etc. Deep tenon neck joints, LED inlays and carved tops are things people spend YEARS learning how to do well, and you expect to be able to do it all on your first instrument in the span of a few weeks. I admire your ambition, but i think you need a reality check.

Accurately cutting and fitting a deep tenon is going to be tricky if you have minimal woodworking experience. LED inlays are tricky enough that there are only a handful of people in the world that even offer to do this work on guitars. And i'm sure we've all seen our share of really poorly done carved tops and bodies. You might want to experiment with some less elaborate designs to minimize your chances of ending up with some expensive firewood.

Oh, and don't forget to factor hardware into your cost estimate. You'll have to add at least a couple hundred for the Floyd, tuners, etc.

I hope it turns out how you want it. If it does, you'll probably win a little respect around here. :D But by continuing to insist that all of this stuff is easy and a first-timer should have no problem with it, you're disrespecting a lot of people here who have worked for years to develop their craft.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

first of all here we go again. Good uck snork, and buy a router.

Secondly, I'd samwich a piece of walnut in there. Id also do some tests on scrap wood BEFORE cutting the tenon and mortise. But then, what I have to say is prolly gonna be ignoed anyway. sorry, thats just what you have shown by your posts. I'd hate to waste my time trying to help some one who 3 days later is just gonna say, "well, I F#@%ed it up." Sorry snork, you are rapidly losing respect. just for your own good, listed to someone around here that knows what its like to screw up. I do, wes does, hell, just aboot everyone does. The advice given, even tho some through resentment, is valid. dont resent the advice or the ones giving it. it is real.

True fact.

i am taking your advice to heart. every time someone posts with suggestion I'm thinking about it checking out the wood etc. Walnut might look nice for a distinction between the maple. It might just work. thank you for the suggestion the plywood part with testing making the tenon I'm definately going to do. I do not want to mess up good wood. thank you for the advice it is being taken seriously.