crap-o-la!.

ok I recently was informed that 1 1/2 inches is too thin a body size to put a floyd in. DAMMIT! Wes already suggested that i put a quilted maple top over my flamed maple top. just one major problem-O. I started contouring already and I like the way it looks. And I spent 4 hours sanding by hand to contour it. And I am doing a light stain so I want to have something that will look dandy with a blue/green carriburst stain. So i figure I'll just put something in between bottom and top. this will not only make my routing for the P/U's etc easier but it will make my life making the deep tenon neck pocket easier. I dont know maybe rock maple, birdseye maple. I don't really like mahogany. any suggestions for the plan and the wood?

A few options...

1) Put a 1/4" booked Maple cap on the bottom.

2) Keep your neck pocket cut a bit shallow, or cut it at an angle ala Gibson TOM-style. This will also -raise- the spot (depthwise) that the bridge wants to sit in.

This will raise the strings off the body more, but it can work.

3) Find a Floyd-type of bridge that isn't as long as a real Floyd. Ask Brian on this one. I've got a few different Floyd-type bridges, they're not all as deep as a real Floyd is.

You're not toast just yet. :D

For your first axe, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Ask Brian, he might have an answer for you. I see that he stocks several different types of Floyds, he wouldn't steer you wrong. :D

I think the only real difference is wear characteristics, case hardening and all that.

And if you're building a Metal guitar, any small differences that you might notice tonally I think will be completely minimized. If you had some very clean pkps, you might notice a difference more...

Just my worthless .02.

Questions are always good. :D

The only bad question is the one that didn't get asked, as someone once said...

4 pieces don't mean diddly-bo-diddly to me, but maybe it does to you.

I could give you lots of different examples of bodies that have multiple pieces (way more than 4 sometimes) that sound fabulous.

But I understand your 'less is better' point of view.

I don't agree with it, but I understand where you're coming from. B)

how do you feel about the kahler flatmount?it doesn't require a back rout,only a small recess on the top.about $280 though.

sure you want a trem?

okay,do the math.my trem cavity on my floyd equipped guitar is 3/4" deep(back rout).it looks like you could get away with less.maybe if you make the back rout 1/2" deep and only rout your pickup cavities 3/4" deep,then you might get away with it.you will need a shorter tone block,which are available from allparts?

personally i would add a cap,or go with the kahler

I bought a kramer striker body/neck off of ebay. I had a floyd II laying around. The kramer body is too thin for the floyd. The body looks like it's 1 5/8" thick (1/8" thicker than your body.) The tone block sticks out of the back so I keep the cover plate off. I even tried shimming the neck with a single-edge razor and raising the mounting posts but it killed the tone.

The tone block on my floyd measures 1 5/8" the shorter tone block from allparts that westhemann suggests is 1 3/8". This would probably benefit my situation but may not benefit yours (1/8" thinner body than mine.)

If you do decide to stay with a floyd, perhaps you can bring your stock tone block to a machinist to have it cut/drilled even smaller than the allparts piece.

you can cut a full size block down for the floyd rose bridge thats what I did. I just dril the holes for the spring hooks deeper and then cut some off with a hacksaw and tryign to keep everything square and pretty and then used a file to clean it up. it tells u how to do this in "Guitar Player Repair Guide."

Heh, big difference between brass and steel B). My floyd II might be brass, I can't tell but my old OFR has a big honkin' chunk of thick steel (it's slightly rusty :D) I shudder at the thought of trying to hacksaw that puppy :D. I was under the impression Nordic was going for an OFR.

For your first guitar, i would suggest trying something simpler than a "deep tenon" set neck with a carved laminated top. Once you have a little more experience (and confidence), you'll be much better equipped to tackle the tougher challenges.

Why not add another laminate to the back so the body is maple/mahogany/maple? Or maybe add another darker wood under the top to give a nice accent line?

Personally, i think it's a shame to invest all that money in nice tone woods only to cut away huge chunks of it to put in a Fender/Floyd style trem.