Serious Question!

~davie

Sorry, no can do video...

Extensive thread on this guitar is here...Blueteleful Telecaster Project

The micro switch has a 'throw' of less than 1mm, so you wouldn't want anything more sensitive than that, and obviously these things are designed to be pressed a fair bit. Mounting it, I used a bit of wood as I recall, thin ply...the pots need spacers on a tele because of the thin plate, so that the wood is held on by one of the pots (actually I believe it is on the gibson style selector switch) next to it and the black activating bit sticks through a simple hole along with the blue sustainer indicator light along side the volume control...

bluetele9.jpg

The whole guitar above, the controls below...

bluetelebridge.jpg

You can see that there is a chrome and tortoiseshell theme going on there and the switch and light are hidden by a small piece between the volume and selector that also hides the old switch slot in the tele's plate.

There is an audio link in that thread that probably still works, the sustainers battery was running very low there, and it is a bit rough, but I don't think I demoed the killswitch feature. Basically it just shorts the signal turning the guitar off when pressed. The way my guitar is wired it kills all signal including that to the sustainer circuit so it does work with the sustainer but while 'killed' the sustainer stops, but the strings of course still vibrate so that when open again the sustainer takes over again, this can be effective when the sustainer is on the verge of harmonics though, but it is obviously the simplest to wire on an already complex guitar with little room in it!

I had been messing around with kill switch ideas for another commissioned project that used them a lot...I thought up a 'maim' switch, it doesn't kill it but switches in a small cap that killed all the highs, so it has an extreme wha kind of effect, switching between the normal sound and that of the guitar with the tone turned most of the way off, I spent ages trying different caps to get the right kind of filtering, but not hard to do either. I used a pull pot to switch between 'maiming' and 'killing' as I recall.

I'm not personally a big fan or got a lot of use for a kill switch myself though and I completely forget that the thing is there...it is a kind of gimmick really IMHO...and I find the switch a little anti-intuitive compared to the toggling on the guitar sound that a guy like tom morello favours to be easier to use. Still if you like toys, this is a discrete way of adding one with minimum mods and in small spaces.