Seven String Build

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be a little behind schedule I decided to cut the neck off and add a couple more strips of walnut to it so I am re-glueing the neck within the neck couple days then get to glueing the top.

Nice idea. Many wouldnt do that at this stage anymore

I'm going to be a little behind schedule I decided to cut the neck off and add a couple more strips of walnut to it so I am re-glueing the neck within the neck couple days then get to glueing the top.

Nice idea. Many wouldnt do that at this stage anymore

Yeah I was a little unsure about it at first but then realized that i can just cut it out with a band saw and run the old neck through the jointer then sand the body wings flush it worked out perfectly and i'm planning on glueing it tonight.

Got the body all sanded and smooth today and re-routed the binding channels. I won't be getting the top glued until the next couple days it looks like.

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

I just realized I burt part of the maple ends on accident ... well looks like i'l be sanding a bit more now.

Edited by Juntunen Guitars

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I have been able to do anything with this guitar but I got everything drawn on it and I have most of the electronics now and I got the headstock glued and cut out as well.

Here is the headstock, it will have a tamarack cover put on it and then I will probably put some walnut binding on it.

IMG_0363.jpg

Here is the body with everything drawn out and with the knobs on it to give an idea how it will look.

IMG_0358.jpg

I don't have a 3 way switch and am trying to save some money so I pulled these switches out of an old Fender keyboard amp and might use them as individual switches for the pups what do you guys think or should I just go with a three way switch?

IMG_0359.jpg

The other thing I am trying to decide on is how I will put the LED's under the pups, I am not sure how to mount them in and keep them there plus I don't know how to wire them I posted a topic on how to wire them but no one has replied to it so if anyone know how to wire them up post it there.

It would seem as if your routing for your Pups is slightly askewed... It could just be from the angle, but before I routed my cavities today, I was quadruple checking everything. :D

Looking great.

Thanks and yeah it must be the angle because it's all square I will check it again today before I route for the pups. I started routing the control cavity yesterday.

Did a bit of routing today.

I realized that the whole I routed for the truss rod adjustment nut was in the wrong place after i finished so it's a good thing I can fill it in, cover it with a top, and cover it with the fretboard :D

IMG_0365.jpg

I'll put some gloss black paint in the pickup cavities so the LED shines through a bit more.

IMG_0364.jpg

It's been a little while since I worked on this but I now have the top glued on and sanded, all routing is done, and all the binding channels are routed.

I still haven't re-opened the pickup cavities.

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

My design changed after I finished routing the control cavity. I was oridinally going to put the jack on the side of the guitar so I routed closer to the edge but then decided to put it on the top of the guitar so the cavity is a lot bigger than it needed to be.

Edited by Juntunen Guitars

Hmm ... well I tried to bend the binding today two ways, 1. With a pipe and 2. By steaming it, neither worked. They broke I tried for about 2 hours by steaming and 2 with the pipe, I'm not to happy right now :D

So now I have two things to decide 1. Try to find a way to make the binding work or 2. Do a type of carved top. What do you guys think?

BTW the binding is black walnut.

you might run out of wood at control cavity if you do carved top

How about normal binding

channel is to thick I would have to downsize the body quit a bit. I have some tortise shell plastic binding and it takes three of those in a row to equal the thickness of my wood binding. I am working on finding a way to do a type of carved top for this but if I can't I don't know what I'l do :D

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm. The build was looking nice, but now your in a situation... If binding won't work, a carved top might do it. I wish you luck over this obstacle.

Yeah I have been to busy lately to work on it but I have been thinking of making a carved top like the Ibanez Prestige models, at least I think it is the Prestige, but I cut the binding strips smaller so I will see if those will bend now at some point this week.

Hmm. The build was looking nice, but now your in a situation... If binding won't work, a carved top might do it. I wish you luck over this obstacle.

Yeah I have been to busy lately to work on it but I have been thinking of making a carved top like the Ibanez Prestige models, at least I think it is the Prestige, but I cut the binding strips smaller so I will see if those will bend now at some point this week.

I think you mean RGA. Prestige is just what Ibanez uses to distinguish their "high end" models from their basic ones. Theres a "Prestige" variant for almost every model they make... Good choice! Its a subtle carve, which I really like.

guitar-bass-electric-guitars-electric-guitar-ibanez-rga-serie-rga42t-bk.jpg

Edited by MuffinPunch

I think you mean RGA. Prestige is just what Ibanez uses to distinguish their "high end" models from their basic ones. Theres a "Prestige" variant for almost every model they make... Good choice! Its a subtle carve, which I really like.

guitar-bass-electric-guitars-electric-guitar-ibanez-rga-serie-rga42t-bk.jpg

I think the model I am thinking of is the S series. The guitar player in my band has one and it has a carved top and back. They are both gradually sloped carves like the RGA series.

But I am going to try the binding again first then if that doesn't work I will do the carved top. I just thinnk that when I cut the original binding strips I cut them from a piece of scrap and the grain must not have been in the right direction for bending.

This carved top topic has raised my curiosity though, I think I am going to do a stype of carve on a strat I am building for myself ... I will look into it :D