Rattlecans & Air Humidity

Google and forum search werent very fruitfull, so I guess I'll start a topic to ask this.

Now, it's commonly stated that air humidity plays a part in spray/rattlecan application.

Basicly, high humidity = bad.

Now, what I'm missing is some numbers of what would be a (too) high humidity.

Basicly, I have a bunch of acrylic rattlecans made by Motip. I have to spray outside on my balkony as I dont have a spray booth or any suitable inside room.

My air humidity sensor on my balkony tells me the humidity right now is between 65% and 70%. Weather forecast expects between that local % for the coming days until tuesday, which will be expected to be about 50% for tuesday & wednesday.

I guess 70% might be a bit high-ish. But still acceptable? But if even 60% is too high, I'm kinda screwed as far as the climate here goes, as even in the middle of summer humidity will be expected to be between 60 and 70.

So anyone have some thoughts on the issue?

You are just going to have to do a test on some scrap wood and see how it looks..

You are just going to have to do a test on some scrap wood and see how it looks..

That is always a good idea, though it seems I'll have to wait till monday annyhow since now it's raining, and tommorow seems to have pretty high chances of rain too.

Did a bit more googling with better succes, if the results are anything to go by, between 40 and 50 is ideal and up to 60 is okay.

Guess I'll use the inbetween time to do more sanding or work on the neck or something :D

Ehh, the climate here is pretty much fail, but at least it doesnt rain quite as much as Britain :D

• 4 weeks later...

That is always a good idea, though it seems I'll have to wait till monday annyhow since now it's raining, and tommorow seems to have pretty high chances of rain too.

Did a bit more googling with better succes, if the results are anything to go by, between 40 and 50 is ideal and up to 60 is okay.

Guess I'll use the inbetween time to do more sanding or work on the neck or something :D

Ehh, the climate here is pretty much fail, but at least it doesnt rain quite as much as Britain :D

If you were using Nitro you could spray with the humidity and use blush eraser to get rid of the blushing caused by the water that is drawn out of the air. You could build a small spray booth out of a refrigerator box and heat it with a lightbulb to reduce humidity inside. If you do that make sure you leave a couple small vent holes in the top of the box.

If you were using Nitro you could spray with the humidity and use blush eraser to get rid of the blushing caused by the water that is drawn out of the air. You could build a small spray booth out of a refrigerator box and heat it with a lightbulb to reduce humidity inside. If you do that make sure you leave a couple small vent holes in the top of the box. Also make sure the light has some sort of globe around it to keep the fumes from direct contact with it just to be safe.