Strat Finishing Suggestions?

~Maxx

Hey folks. I'm nearing the end of a Strat refurb (reconstruction is more like it), and could use some guidance concerning the top finish...

The body and neck have been colored with a black water-based stain, and the fretboard has been painted with gloss black lacquer. Obviously this put me in a bad situation with regards to the fret dots and side markers. But after a bit of searching I found a website that sold nice looking stickers that could be applied for both. The site (and customer testimonials) claim that the stickers will stay put no matter what. But I still think that they should be finished over with some sort of clear coat.

Now this is where I'm getting stuck... I really wanted to use tung oil on the body and neck, and a gloss clear coat on the fret board. But in order to get the tiny side marker stickers covered I'm going to have to go off the fret board a bit with the clear coat. Is there any reason that this wouldn't be okay? Can I assume that it would be best to clear coat first and then tung oil the rest of the neck? Or am I way off base with this? I suppose I could go with a satin clear coat on the neck if I had to. But I'm thinking that might be a bit too odd with a tung oiled body. maybe I'd be better off just going gloss clear coat on the fret board and satin clear coat for the rest of the guitar?

Anyway... I'd sure appreciate some direction and suggestions on this. Thanks in advance!

Okay... After a bunch of reading it seems that a polyurethane clear coat is really the only that will hold up on a painted fretboard. From what I've read it will apply fine over the lacquer paint (and I'm assuming it won't effect the fret dot stickers), and I can tung oil the rest without incident. Of course this means that I either have to buy some serious painting equipment, or find an auto garage that will do it for me. Decisions decisions...

In any case - my only remaining question is how many coats? I've read figures at stewmac for finishing an entire neck with their spray can products, but I'm not going that route. I'm also concerned about the raised portion left behind by the fret dot stickers. Should I do 3 coats or so, then sand flush, followed by three more coats? That seems like a lot to me. But if I knew for sure I wouldn't be begging for help! :D

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!