Fried? Bd-2

kpcrash

I have a BD-2 that I got about 3-4 years ago that was very occasionally used to create some heavier tones in recording. It spent most of its' life in a bag of cables and such. Last time I used it, there was a loud pop as I hit the pedal to turn it off and since then - LOUD buzzing and no guitar sound when I try to use it. So.... here's the question - could it really just be as simple as a switch? I opened it up, made sure all connections were tight, broke out the magnifying glass and checked for cracked solder - everything looks good. ??? Should I attempt to take out the stock switch and just throw in a spare pickup selector on/off/on to test? Thoughts?

From your description of the problem, it sounds like it might have been supplied with too high of a voltage and it got fried when certain components blew up. Were you using some kind of wall wart when this happened?

If the switch simply went bad, it would probably just be stuck in bypass mode all the time. I seriously doubt that it's just a bad switch. They rarely go bad anyway.

Edited by Paul Marossy

It was using a 9-volt at the time. I didn't have my power lines with me, which makes it even weirder. In the chain was the DS-1 (Off) the BD-2 (On). Gain on both set very low - maybe 7 o' clock position usually. Never had a problem with the set up before. Didn't even have tuner pedal in the mix

It was using a 9-volt at the time. I didn't have my power lines with me, which makes it even weirder. In the chain was the DS-1 (Off) the BD-2 (On). Gain on both set very low - maybe 7 o' clock position usually. Never had a problem with the set up before. Didn't even have tuner pedal in the mix

OK, that eliminates overvoltage as a possibility. Yeah, I guess you're going to need to get a schematic and measure voltages and audio probe it to figure out what the problem is.

Well.... that was efficient by any standard. It only took me a few moments to discover that one of the lock washers on the input jack as split (how???) - but replacing it with a new one and tightening everything back up seems to have done the trick. I am still quite baffled, but glad this pedal appears to be working again. Now.... to get rid of some of the nasty highs it was producing (whole reason I pulled it out of the bag in the first place).

Well.... that was efficient by any standard. It only took me a few moments to discover that one of the lock washers on the input jack as split (how???) - but replacing it with a new one and tightening everything back up seems to have done the trick. I am still quite baffled, but glad this pedal appears to be working again. Now.... to get rid of some of the nasty highs it was producing (whole reason I pulled it out of the bag in the first place).

Boss pedals use the enclosure as a ground connection on one of the jacks. IIRC, if you break the connection to ground at the output jack, then their pedals won't pass a signal.

Anyway, glad it was something easy! :D