Replacing Strat Two-point Tremolo

Hi folks. Just got the new tremolo for my Strat (standard two-point tremolo), and was wondering what to do about the new bolts. They're too big to thread into the existing holes. The kit came with new threaded sleeves (<--not sure what those are called?) which seem to have the same outer diameter as the current ones. But I'm not sure how to remove the old ones, or weather or not the new ones will need to be glued in somehow.

If anyone's able to follow what I'm getting at here I'd sure appreciate some advice. Thanks a bunch!

Sounds like your new trem came with new studs and inserts. The studs are too big for your current inserts, so you want to get the old ones out, install new inserts to support new studs for new trem?

There are several ways to remove the existing inserts and glue is usually not involved with them. Someone on here had a post about using a bolt to remove them safely - otherwise, there's a tool at StewMac to do the job. Once out, the new ones should wedge in the existing holes - from there the rest is easy.

Wow. Thanks for the quick replies! So basically these things should pull straight out with some calculated effort. And the new inserts do not have to be glued in? Just tapped down flush? I think that's all I need to know. The rest of the measurements for new the trem are spot on with the old one. So I should be good to go - once I get the new inserts installed everything else should drop right into place. Thanks a million guys!

Mission accomplished! I inserted the bolts back into the old inserts and used a clawed hammer with a paper back book between the body and the hammer head. The book protected the finish and made sure that the hammer maintained an upward direction of force rather than pulling the bolt back toward itself. Easy peasy! Thanks again!