Single Concentric Pot For Rg

dalandser

Hello,

I am putting together two HSH guitars with import 5 way switches and I would like to use a single concentric knob for the volume (outside) and tone (inside). I'm just not sure which pot values to use considering the middle single coil. It seems like 500/500's the way to go, but I just thought I'd ask. I couldn't find any applicable info searching 'concentric' under this forum section. A schematic would always be helpful, or at least just letting me know which lugs are connected to the inside outside knobs. I could probably figure this out when I purchase them by looking at them, but this could be useful to someone else down the road.

Another idea I had (but doubt I'll be doing it) for an HH guitar would be to have the same concentric vol/tone setup and two locking push button switches (arcade button style) that turn each pickup on and off. At first I figured this would be easy by just putting the switch between the pups and the pots, but then I read that it's bad to cut the circuit off completely (in the case of off/off coming up with both switches turned off) and that rather than get a cool killswitch effect, I'd get a 'just unplugged the guitar from the amp effect' where the amp would give it's unplugged sound rather than just making the guitar volume zero instead. It seems like it could be done, but I don't understand electric circuits very well yet. I think this system could have some pretty cool effects and maybe speed up some switching effects that people could use. I don't think that it would be a problem figuring out what is on and off after some use - HH design is pretty basic and easy to hear the differences in the pup selections.

Anyway, the first question is in regards to what I really plan on doing. The second one was just to see if maybe someone somewhere would like to experiment with the idea.

Thank You,

Anthony

Edited by dalandser

I was also thinking of putting a killswitch in the hole for the old tone pot. I have a momentary push button switch labeled (ON) - is this the right kind of switch or do I need an (OFF) switch? Does anyone have an easy time making wiring diagrams for the concentric vol (outside) tone (inside) with the killswitch? I'll be able to figure it out on my own, but a little help is always appreciated.

Thank You,

Anthony

With concentric pots, the smallest knob (inner) uses the lugs on the very bottom of the assembly, so of course, the outer knob uses the lugs closest to the middle of the assembly. 500/500 would be the best value due to having two humbuckers.

The momentary push switch should be normally on if it is marked on, so pushing it will be off, therefore it seems to be the correct switch for a killswitch.

The momentary push switch should be normally on if it is marked on, so pushing it will be off, therefore it seems to be the correct switch for a killswitch.

You want a NO (normally open) switch put to earth rather than NC (normally closed) as opening the circuit will by noisy like an unplugged lead.

Thanks for the info. The momentary switches have confused me a little since most of the circuit information I have read denotes circuits as being closed and open. I happen to have a momentary (ON) switch (as described on the website that sent me it as a free sample), but I'm not sure if this means normally open (circuit off) or normally closed (circuit on). I think I found the answer to my question here:

"N.C. contacts = Normally Closed contacts = The circuit is closed (i.e., "On") when the button isn't touched. When you touch it, you break the signal."

http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/killswitch.html

It looks like either kind of switch will work with their 2 schematics.

I think this is the right way to wire it so that when it's pressed it's the same as turning the volume to zero, rather than disconnecting the signal altogether and getting nasty amp noise. I'm not sure, but I'll find out once I get to that part of my project. Oh and now I'm only working on one guitar - two is too many for me right now.

Thank You,

Anthony