Midi Footswitch

Juntunen Guitars

I am looking at building a basic MIDI fotswitch. All I want is a pedal with two foot switches. I would be putting it on my Digitech Whammy pedal so I don't have to constantly be bending over to change the selection so all I need is two switches, one that makes the selection go up and one that makes it go down. I have no idea how to wire or do anything with MIDI and I haven't been able to find anything online on how to wire it. All I find is info on channels and the like but I don't make sense of it. Any help here?

I've been thinking about doing something similar with a KAOSS pad, though I haven't really researched it much. However, most devices that take a midi input will tell you what midi signals correspond to what functions on the device (so look in the manual to your Whammy). I'm fairly certain there are midi controller libraries for C which you could use to fairly easily program a small microcontroller to work with 2 buttons (or more) and send the MIDI signals you need through a midi port. The PIC microcontroller might be a good place to start. They're pretty cheap, and fairly widely used. I wouldn't buy one until you find out if there are MIDI libraries available.

http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/circuits.html will get you going check out the midi program changer

I am looking at building a basic MIDI fotswitch. All I want is a pedal with two foot switches. I would be putting it on my Digitech Whammy pedal so I don't have to constantly be bending over to change the selection so all I need is two switches, one that makes the selection go up and one that makes it go down. I have no idea how to wire or do anything with MIDI and I haven't been able to find anything online on how to wire it. All I find is info on channels and the like but I don't make sense of it. Any help here?

Does this fit your bill?

• 3 months later...

<!--quoteo(post=472671:date=Sep 6 2010, 01:03 PM:name=Juntunen Guitars)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juntunen Guitars @ Sep 6 2010, 01:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=472671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am looking at building a basic MIDI fotswitch. All I want is a pedal with two foot switches. I would be putting it on my Digitech Whammy pedal so I don't have to constantly be bending over to change the selection so all I need is two switches, one that makes the selection go up and one that makes it go down. I have no idea how to wire or do anything with MIDI and I haven't been able to find anything online on how to wire it. All I find is info on channels and the like but I don't make sense of it. Any help here?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Does <a href="http://www.moltenvoltage.com/molten_midi_2.html" target="_blank">this</a> fit your bill?

I have looked at that pedal in the past. I almost bought it but I decided that since I know nothing about MIDI I would like to learn how it works and build my own.

Devnull, the would be a nice footswitch to use but sadly I don't have a need for something that big :D