New Project - Galveston Lp Copy

ecnal

Haven't posted on here in a while. Getting back into luthiery a little bit, not that I was ever deep into it to begin with. Anyways.

So I bought a Galveston LP copy on the 'bay. A hundred bucks, I figured 'why not'? I bought a 5 string Galveston bass in highschool and still have it and love it. Some new pups and misc. hardware and it plays great.

So I figured I'd give 'em another shot. Photos below are from the auction, and are better than any I could take myself, so they'll do for now. I just got it in the mail today when I came home from work. I must say, out of the box, it's not bad at all. The strings are ****, of course, but as far as tuners, etc go it's definitely on the higher end of the 'made in china' label it proudly wears. The finish is really great. No flaws that I can find. The plastic electronics cover isn't the best, but I think a tiny bit of reshaping and taking a little depth off it will do the trick. I think I may even make a new one and use magnets to hold it on - same for the truss rod and switch covers.

I have yet to plug it in and hear the pups, but I'm guessing that they're 'eh'. They'll end up getting replaced with some of those Golden Age ones from Stewmac, probably. I'm not gonna spend a ton on pickups, but they should make a nice upgrade I"m thinking. Anyone have any experience with the Golden Age pups? The reviews seem pretty positive!

Gotoh bridge and tailpeice, new pots, switch, and jack. I think I'll add the 'Rhythm' and 'Treble' switch back plate in cream color. Think i may go with the Grover tuners, but does anyone have suggestions? Something locking..

Here's pics!

0hfCJ.jpg

aQ532.jpg

C3kB6.jpg

KPYlH.jpg

LcbDs.jpg

rnzd8.jpg

IK0ZT.jpg

hDKer.jpg

hxxUe.jpg

I do wish it had binding around the body, though. The fingerboard feels a little dry/scratchy. What would remedy that, save for de-fretting and sanding/etc?

...The fingerboard feels a little dry/scratchy. What would remedy that, save for de-fretting and sanding/etc?

If it only feels dry and scratchy, but it isn't actually rough, get some lemon oil and soak the fretboard with it. Put plenty on and let it soak right into the wood. Then apply some more and let that soak in. If it feels better, then level, crown, and polish the frets if they need it, and apply another couple of coats of lemon oil, and buff the whole thing up.

If it only feels dry and scratchy, but it isn't actually rough, get some lemon oil and soak the fretboard with it. Put plenty on and let it soak right into the wood. Then apply some more and let that soak in. If it feels better, then level, crown, and polish the frets if they need it, and apply another couple of coats of lemon oil, and buff the whole thing up.

Thanks for the advice! That sounds much easier than my idea. :D