Three In Progress

Hi guys here are three new ones I'm working on. I figure if I make it out with at least one good one, I'll be good to go. Here are the specs, but I haven't bought or built all the parts yet so I reserve the right to change my mind or listen to all of the killa advise you guys toss around.

2 Mahogany bodies with 1/4'' maple shallow carved tops.

1 pine body with flat top.

All will have bolt on maple necks the carved tops will have ebony fretboards the pine will have a maple fretboard.

abalone dots off center

Floyd trems

pickups TBD, but I want H-S-H on at least one of them.

and the rest I'll figure out when I get there.

So, the router jig is built

img_1530.jpg?t=1296016709

Here's the postercard drawings of what I'm going for.

img_1528.jpg?t=1296016777

Here's the blanks ruffed out

img_1524.jpg?t=1296016818

Ok, so if you drop a pine body off of a workbench with 5 large iron c clamps attached to it, the top horn will crack.

If you decide to just break it off all of the way and glue it back on, stop. It will splinter like mad leaving no hope of cleanly glueing it back on.

Looks like my test blank is toast and i'm down to two guitars now. :D

Edited by masterblastor

Cutting scarf joint

img_1534.jpg?t=1296106046

My arm got tired right about here

img_1532.jpg?t=1296106079

Glue up, I used staples to keep it from slipping. It worked, but I'll probably try the drill bit trick next time. one of the staples shot through the neck. No biggie since it's getting cut off any way, but I had to scramble and throw a long clamp on it. Thankfully it didn't do any damage to the neck and stuff.

img_1535.jpg?t=1296106099

hoping the tip of the headstock fits when I thin the headstock. Math says it will. My luck says I'll probably fook it up.

img_1538.jpg?t=1296106156

possibly Thinking about doing a long tenon on this one. I feel really bad about putting a top on this blank to begin with and the neck seemed to perfectly land where my floyd trem is going to start. The end of the maple in this pic is 1/4" past where my posts will sit. What do yinz guys think about running the maple all the way to the trem and a clear finish on this one? My only reservation is I tend to break necks. That is why I was planning on bolt ons originally.

img_1540.jpg?t=1296106184

Edited by masterblastor

Lookin nice, that sucks with the pine, Ive been using that wood to learn on and try things before I attempt it on nicer wood, and besides, it's cheap and readily available here lol but it's definitely not the nicest or best wood to work with, but at least it's not balsa!

Yeah I was kinda bummed out about it. I totally love the look of pine, but your right it is a pain to work with. Tough stuff to get to sand level. Pine is pretty cheap around here. Alder is too. I might give alder a try. Either way I need a new test body.

• 5 weeks later...