Shellac

Im new to the process of shellacing guitars and wanted to hear from anyone who likes it. I currently have a maple top that I'm trying to get a thin finish with. Shellac is something I've worked with a little, but never to get a high gloss look. Now, here is my current process and any feed back would be appreciated

1. sand to 400 and grain fill

2. sand to 400, then thick layer(relative I guess) of shellac

3. sand back to wood, hopefully ending with a somewhat sealed and smooth surface

4. microplane top (maple)

5. begin shellac/polish process(olive oil, mixed shellac/DA, polish)- few layers of color/dye followed by days of clear

Now I'm left with a somewhat glossy finish thats cured a few weeks, but do you think I could get it better with a little super fine steel wool and hand buffing, or should I just try hand buffing alone. Alternative I could refine my polish technique, but I always figured I'd just buff it.

Also, next time, is there a way to get a super thin poly or urathane coat over the color layer instead of shellac? I tried a technique on the head stock of adding CA one layer, then sanding and/or scraping, then another layer, then sanding, etc and I got a REALLY nice finish and very thin