acoustic gibson with weather cracks

wjrmobile

Hi,

I would be careful of applying anything from a furniture show to a guitar, especially a Gibson accoustic. Use of Nitrocellulose on furniture is rare, and that is what Gibson uses on their guitars. Different finishing materials will have different "healing" properties. So my number one suggestion: B):D:D

Guitar Ed

Advice worth what you paid for it. Nothing.

Probably what they meant was that a new coat of nitro will melt into the original and allow the original to melt back together, it's one of the beauties of nitro. For what it's worth, in the past 40 years tons of furniture was finished with nitro based laquers. Nitro is being used by almost nobody anymore, mostly for the reason I think that it's illegal in most states. Gibson is still using Laquer, only their new formula is even worse, you can't put their new guitars in regular guitar stands or on hangers without covering the neoprene (polyethelene?) whatever it is, rubber because it eats into the laquer. I had to fix the headstock on a 2000 gibson les paul custom that had been hung for only a week, it ate the laquer away from the headstock nearly to the wood where the hanger had been. Fortunately, being cheap ass crap laquer, I just brushed some new stuff in, let it melt together, and sanded and buffed it out and it looked brand new again.

thanks snork, I appreciate that high compliments, but I don't necessarily agree with that. My opinion isn't anymore valid than anyone else who's done finishing before. Everyone has different methods, I only discuss what I know from experience. I do my utmost best to not answer any questions unless I can answer them from experience, if I haven't done something I'll make mention of that. I've used many forms of finishing, most with good results.

There is a lot of very good information on this site, I do believe there are quite a few who give unfounded advice on subjects they've never actually attempted themselves, but that is part of the charm of the internet I suppose. Be careful in who you do listen to. There are some members who have talked like they know it all and have done it all, but have yet to post any pictures of anything. Maybe they have, I don't know and I'm not questioning them, but that is the advice I would take lighter than someone like Scott Rosenberger, or Rhoads56, or I suppose myself, only because pictures of completed projects have been shown (I apologize for all I've missed, this site's membership has grown in leaps and bounds recently and due to having less time I haven't been able to be here as much, I know there are many other very talented builders here, some even I look up to like Clavin, in my opinion, my inlay work is very nice, but his is god like! I wish I could devote all my guitar building time to inlay, unfortunately being a one man operation in a full shop custom house means I have to split my time up accordingly hehehe.

Jeremy