Heat Gun Burst? Thoughts?

I was reading HuntinDoug's thread about sand shading and I thought, Since he is using heat and what not to create a burst. Is it possible or feasible to do this with a heat gun? I wanted to get this brown dark burst maybe with trans tints... but thought it would just be a lot easier to heat gun it and sand back some of the over burned spots? idk, just a thought, or hoping some of you have tried/ done this and would post some pics.

here is what im after

user46937_pic36899_1301172025.jpg

Haven't tried it with a heat gun, but this is one I did with a propane torch. As you can see, it is not so easy to control how evenly the wood chars. A heat gun may be more controllable, but any time you get the wood hot enough to char, you are drying it out rapidly, and you will get cracks in the end grain. I happen to like this look for a lot of the stuff I do, but it may not be appropriate for your needs.

DSCN1741.JPG

Dark I was planning on testing on scrap tonight :) Orgmorg, do you think that If I added sand to the spots I wanted to burst? Maybe even add water to the spots that I want to char? I was thinking maybe if I add enough water it will get hot enough to char before it has time to dry and crack? Just a theory/thought.

Anyway thanks for the pic, it definitely gives me an idea of where I want to go and what sorts of results ill get.

What type of wood was that org? I was going to burst a maple top, maybe the tightness of the maple will give me less worries when it comes to cracking?

What type of wood was that org? I was going to burst a maple top, maybe the tightness of the maple will give me less worries when it comes to cracking?

It is yellow poplar. I would expect a denser wood to crack even more.

A big factor is probably the type of wood your going to be using. I've done it on walnut and maple with no issues.

Were you doing it on the end grain? That is where it will crack, and I would be surprised if it didn't. Moisture exits the wood most easily through the ends, causing that last inch or so to shrink while the rest of the wood stays the same dimension.

well here is some pics :) tested on scrap. The burst line is a little harsh so I need to burst a little more and then sand blend it in to the burst. but I have a good feeling it will turn out good :)

78e8def6.jpg

Oh and here is a side shot. Notice it only affects the top of the wood and not the sides. Which is AWESOME. Also, when I put the burn color on then restain. I think the stain will add the moisture back. :)

989420c1.jpg

Edited by Pestvic

looking good :)

04575b31.jpg

I still need to even out some spots.

cc1e3e4c.jpg

I noticed it affected the glue. so next time I will have to work a little closer and faster and let the wood burn fast so the glue doesnt heat up. I fixed it with clamps but I learned a good lesson :)