Inlay

gw_guitars

I must start out with saying that I'm sooooo jealous of you guy's, specially Saber and Clavin, that you can make such beautifull inlay's.

Now my question.

When you make an inlay on a fretboard how do make sure that the strings don't wreck your inlay.

When your inlay is acrylic is the string must scratch on it.

I don't know how mother of pearl will react on scratches.

How will ordinary glass react?

:D

Gerard

First of all I'm a novice compared to Clavin and many others on this board so just to see our names in the same sentence is quite an honor for me. I've only inlaid on a scalloped fretboard so the strings never come in contact with the inlays. I better let the pros answer the rest.

Just an observation, upon close examination of a MOP sharktooth-inlayed fretboard with very worn frets, the inlays were very scratched at a few places but it was not very noticeable. I imagine that the same scratches on acrylic mirror inlays would be more visible, but it wouldn't be so bad on acrylic inlays with something other than a mirror surface underneath. The presence of the strings also distracts from any imperfections, but my experience is very limited.

Oh, my feelers are hurt now! :D

Anyway, in all reality, strings will almost never touch the fretboard unless you have really really small frets, or play really really hard. Fingernails will hit the fretboard, which is why you should keep them trimmed B)

But really, until frets are really worn, or really small to start with, or nails or extra pressure is an issue, the inlay shouldn't see much wear at all. Even synthetics are pretty hard, not as hard as the string, but generally harder than a fingernail, having said that, a finger nail can still scratch it, but after I don't know how many hours of playing on my VWH, the synthetic inlays are not scratched, same with my JEM911. Real shell would need some pretty wicked pressure and contact to scratch where you would notice it, upon really close inspection there may be some scratches, but I think you'd have a hard time noticing.

Jeremy