Refinishing an old build

henrim

Plastic fantastic.

I went out hiking today, but I’m waiting for tomorrow evening to finish this one.

An old build from 2009. It was finished with alpine white with a bluish tint on the drop top. Never liked it really. White was too bright and the Oregon myrtle top didn’t want to be blue. The yellow/green color of the wood was showing through and it was a mess. I stripped the top clean and stained with brown and yellow tints. Repainted back off-white with acrylic and sprayed acrylic clear on the top.

I’m waiting to see how this turns out when I get it out of the wrap!

A3DDEE01-1F78-479C-96F4-3111CA73A930.jpeg

F1E20F16-C7CB-47DD-9F1D-6052F7736C0C.jpeg

• Like 3

Probably an other never ending story.

I like how the back looks in white. And I kinda like how the top looks as it is. I just don’t think they should be in the same guitar. 

On the backside there is a spot I have to fix. After sanding it, it shows the previous pure white. There is a huge difference in the new color if you compare it to pure white but it’s still too white to go with the top. Black would be better. But maybe after fixing the paint I tint clear a bit more towards cream and spray that on. Which will likely become an other small scale catastrophe.

4CF46751-E8CC-482B-973C-4AAD707FE54C.jpeg

EF2F9B80-C304-440E-9343-B6F19BCACA08.jpeg

• Like 1

As it appears this wasn’t as easy as I thought. I took a shortcut when I changed the color. I dulled the original finish and sprayed new color on top of it. Everything looked fine until I started to polish the neck. Apparently the paint layers had reacted to each other after all. Paint is cracked. Both layers are well attached but there is thin hairline cracks going through both or them. On closer inspection the back of the body has the same effect on it. Never seen that before but I should know to scrape/sand off previous layers if experimenting with different paints. Or to use primer in between at least. Never mind, I’ll strip the back to wood and paint it again. Wasn’t happy with the white color anyway. May happen sooner or later.

• 5 months later...

Today I was changing engine oil to my car and the smell of warm engine oil brought back memories from my childhood. Or youth I guess. Me and my dad worked together with cars and motorcycles quite a bit. After changing the oil I thought I better wash the car too. While washing I checked the scratches and dents on the body that need some work. Which again reminded me of my dad and how he used to hate my obsession to strip every part to bare metal before re-finishing. Not being able to start re-finishing the car I remembered that there is something else I should strip paint from. In the end I think dad would have approved on this one because I’m not going to put paint on this one anymore! 

This will get just a clear coat. Apart from the neck which will be oiled. Same finishing as my current build. I’m likely going to finish the two at the same time.

IMG_2540.jpeg

• Like 3