need bridge/neck pocket help...

asm

hey all! im new to the boards, looks like alot of knowledgeable people around here so i have a few questions.

i plan on building a 'different' guitar in the near future. originally i planned on a 8 or possibly a 9 string jazz style but use it for more experimental sounds rather than obvious use. then the problem arose with pickups and having to get custom made ones or pay 300$+ a piece, :D

so i figured id go with a 'somewhat' easier guitar.

heres what i have in mind:

a 7 string baritone

-low A tunings and maybe even get down to G

-emg pickups

-neck thru

-string thru body setup

im thinking about copying a warmoth 7 baritone for a set size and stuff. they use a 28 5/8" scale. found here:

http://warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/Barit7.htm

neck construction, im thinking will be lignum vitae middle strip and wenge sides. any opinions on that?

wings will be either claro walnut or wenge and top will definately be figured claro walnut.

on the bridge i was thinking maybe a roller bridge?

http://elderly.com/images/accessories/GEPT.../ABMTRB-BLK.jpg

but they probably dont make that in a 7, soooo... a standard tune-o-matic would be fine.

oh, and the body something similar to this:

http://www.abyssguitars.com/cruc%20half%20size.jpg

so heres the questions....

question 1- will i have problems with a certain bridge on the carved top body?

question 2- i plan on using the string-thru body design, why do some companies use different anchoring methods? im lost on this one.heres what im talking about:

straight-anchored:

http://espguitars.com/images/guitars/MH1000_stbc.jpg

staggered anchored:

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Dproducts/2...006_blk_pop.jpg

slant anchored: (probably because of fanned frets?)

http://www.conklinguitars.com/bizarregalle...ckupcloseup.jpg

can anyone shed some light why people do different styles? and which one is best?

also, what determines if you should put the neck pocket at an angle, and what angle it is?

thanks for any help guys. i hope i/someone else can get some use out of this too!

-taylor

You could custom make your own pickups (provided you can find a decent sized magnet). Try to get hold of a copy of Jason Lollars book on how to build a pickup winder.

Alternatively, when my winder gets up and running, I could have a go at winding some if you want. It looks like it might be a while though.

I think Alans idea sounds good too.

hey guys thanks for the replies!

reason i dont want single coils is that ill be going for some really low distored sound, (not a typical metal sound, but really low abstract style stuff). so i could probably just get by with one bridge humbucker. single coils kinda seem not the right match, but thanks very much for the idea! im sure ill use it down the road

You could custom make your own pickups (provided you can find a decent sized magnet). Try to get hold of a copy of Jason Lollars book on how to build a pickup winder.

Alternatively, when my winder gets up and running, I could have a go at winding some if you want. It looks like it might be a while though.

I think Alans idea sounds good too.

i was thinking about doing just that.

how much work is involved in the winder? is it some kind of special perfect tension winding device or something to just save you the headache and time to hand wind?

reason i ask is im on a project making kick,

1. aluminum melting foundry - 90% done

2. cnc hotwire foam cutter

3. cnc metal lathe

4. cnc milling machine

5. guitar B)

so i think if i get those out of the way making a pickup winding machine isnt going to be to hard :D

has anyone made some yet from his instructions? how much cost is involved?

thx for the help!

t

Hi

Instead of custom pickups why not stagger a couple of single coils ? if you used different types of single could make for an interesting sound.

Alan

or maybe your right, your saying use different brand/model staggered pickups? interesting. will it give it an enhanced sound and tone or make some messed up stuff?

nice idea!

t

The pickup winder isn't very hard to make at all (compaired to a cnc metal lathe anyway). Mine has come to a sudden holt until I can find someone with an old sewing machine that I can rip to pieces. You'll also need a couple of 1/2 inch bars, a few compression springs, a bit of plexiglass, some MDF (or similar), an ols fan and a couple of bushes. There is a couple of other pieces but nothing that is especially hard to get hold of. Maybe you could adapt one of you lathe/cnc jobbies to do a similar job.

It's not very hard to build at all (which is what Jason was trying to do) and his book has the plans in and some background pickup info. Bits and pieces that you need for the actual pup can be bought from Ampage.

You will also need to build a double boiler if you want to pot the pups, and I'm relatively sure the book tells you how to build that too (which is even easier than the winder).

Have a google for lollar guitars and you should be able to find the book. :D

thanks!!!

just found this pic, they have it at stewmac too. for 325$.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_...kup_Winder.html

buying stuff sucks, its so much better when you can build it, or at least attempt to yourself!

that thing doesnt look that hard to make at all, a little work with the pulleys maybe. dunno.

why are you trying to get a sewing machine? wouldnt that be a little to much torque for this application? have you tried hobby motors on ebay? i know they make little rc car motors but they turn fast. like 10k rpm. kind to high speed for our app. but im sure they have something slower.

right now im trying to think if using the whole winder as an automated process, only thing im stuck on is how to make it do a typewriter effect when it gets to the side of the pickup and wind back, then repeat, guess i could pull apart a typewiter and find out and use some of the parts maybe!

muahahah! inventing stuff rocks! :D

thx and good luck on yours!!!

t

The sewing machine is used for the motor/drivebelt/pully wheel (and a switchbox). It also has a footswitch that you drill a hole through and put a bolt in so you can only depress it a certain amount (it's speed variable so you set the bolt to stop it at a certain speed). The typewriter effect is created by using an old electric fan with a cam in place of the blades. It has springs so that a shaft follows the cam. very clever stuff. :D

dUNNO ANYTHING ABOUT THE EXPENSIVE sTEWMAC WINDER. (ahhh caps lock). Other than the fact it's expensive. I was just saying how it's done on Lollers design.

Didn't want to use the DC motor as his design needs the pully and drive belt off of the sewing machine. It also has a little switch box in it that supplys constant power to the old fan (with the cam for typewriter effect) and lets the motor run through the footswitch. I should be able to find an old sewing machine for just a couple of quid and it'll save hastle later on.

1 quid = 1 pound B)

the pound sign has stopped working on my computer :D

I'd advise buying the book. It's worth it and if you decide not to use his design, you'll atleast have the basic knowledge. Also tells you about the actual winding and what you're trying to achieve.

The winder also does deeper bobbin pickups and is quite adjustable. I've been looking at modifying it to wind some transformers for an amp. Possible but life's too short to wind your own transformers (as I was told by someone that knows better :D )

wheres a good place to buy the magnets from? and how do the top 'pins' that are visible hook into the bobbins???

making own amp= B):D

im just getting on the level of electrionics to possibly wire up my own effects pedals. fingers crossed on that one though.

t

Yup, planning on building an 18watter. I'm supposed to saving for a wedding but I'll try to sneak it around the missus :D It's not like she doesn't spend enough on shoes B)

Magnets and bits like the bobbins can be bought from ampage. Hold on I'll find the link straight to the right page.