1 piece necks

I recently bought a fernands 1 piece maple neck (C shape) ('57 re-issue) off ebay with 6 kluson vintage for AU$150. The main reason i bought this one with no research was because i once played a fender strat with a one piece maple neck and i loved it.

Its a school project and i need to come up with some pro's and cons of this type of neck, mainly pros so i can justify why i bought this neck B).

Answers based on just from experience would be great.

Some sample ideas for Pro's and Con's.

what is dis/advantage over a two piece?

why is maple a good/bad neck wood?

why is bolt on good/bad?

why is the brand good/bad?

why is C shape good bad?

Oh and also if you are up to it have a comment on the tuners, same sort of this as the neck.

Thanks for your time people!

-benno :D

why is bolt on good/bad?

why is C shape good bad?

-benno :D

normally you wouldnt have a two piece neck. More common would be three-piece laminate, or 5piece laminate (5piece usually uncludes this setup...say with maple and bubinga for example..M/B/M/B/M, or somthing of that sort) but I believe a lot of it has to do with neck strength.

a lot of it is preference of look and sound. Maple can look very nice, and the sound is bright and crisp, and it's used on many guitars.

why is bolt on good/bad?

well theres lots of opinions on this. Bolt ons can come loose, whereas like my gluedon gibson neck is not gonna come out, but my strat copy neck can come a little loose.

never heard of that brand

why is C shape good bad?

uhm C shape is the basic neck shape, some ibanez's and jackson's necks are a lot thinner and even can be curved towards the top and bottom and flat in the middle, but C shape is basically the shape of a neck...also provides good control because you have a lot to grip onto (if it's a thick C neck)

Benno is probably talking about a Fernandez. They made very nice strat/tele copies in the nineties.

Lotass, your answer about the dis/advantage over a two piece is BS.

A standard strat either has a one piece maple neck or a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard that is usually 1/4" thick.

The main advantage of a Fender style one piece is that there is no fret board/neck glue join which could creep under load. The only disadvantage I can think of is the one Leo Fender himself stated: that the laquered surface of the maple fretboard wears through and the board gets and looks dirty (especially on fifties mono-chrome TV apparently)

Keith

Yes, i was talking about 1 piece where by the truss rod is inserted from the back. I didnt realise that the 1 piece may warp a little more. And yeh i agree with the maple fretboard wearing quickly, but hey who doesnt love the vintage 'used' look :D.

Thanks heaps for your coments.

-benno