gretsch neck

ok.. here is what i have, original neck, original body 1960 anniversary...when i mount the neck and center it to the middle of the guitar body (measured and marked center line) then the neck is cockeyed.

If i center the neck to the original center bigsby mounting hole, which is about 3/4" toward the low E (upper bout), then it mounts up correctly and everything seems to be the way it was manufactured...could it be that off?

Should i remedy the situation and center everything up ?

I am building a player not a collector wall hanger...and it just makes no sense to me that the neck center is not in alignment with the guitar body center....

Anybody have a take on this?

Hi Normandy,

As I recall, Gretsch in those days had a hit or miss approach to quality control, so anything is possible. Another good place to ask questions is The Gretsch Pages. Obviously, these are people who are well steeped in Gretsch knowledge. And :DB):D

Another silly idea is double check your measurements, or maybe triple check. Just because.

Guitar Ed

thanks for the link but after trying all day to log on to it, i give up...

it just sits there. and my time is more valuable than waiting for that web page to open up...

anybody have any hints on this Gretsch?

I figure they glued the neck in first, then since it was single pickup did not care if everything lined up and just screwed the bigsby down wheere it was in the center of something or centered on anything close....