Lacewood neck?

I really like the pattern of lacewood and wondered if it can safely be used as the primary outside layers in a laminated neck. eg. substitute for mahogany or maple.

How does it take stain and finish? How does radiusing it (neck profile) affect the pattern of the grain? Anyone with experience?

I'm using leopardwood as a top on my current project. From what I understand, its a more dense and darker version of lacewood.

My experience with leopardwood is:

1) It is very "spliter-ey". The grain between the leopard spots looks almost like fabric threads and it splinters when you rub your hand over it.

2) It is hard to sand. Like I said, it is dense. I would guess somewhere between ebony and hard maple.

As for use in a neck... Lacewood is softer than leopardwood so I don't know how stable it would be.

Stain... I've seen guitars with lacewood tops that have been dyed and they look great.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Lacewood will work fine. Laminate it with wenge, ebony, purpleheart, bubinga, ect...HARD STABLE STUFF. Warmoth uses it and the showcase always has one or 2 necks in lacewood. It ctains nicely. Sand well too. Pore filler is almost neccessity. Yeilds a mahogany like sound.