Any Luthiery Schools Advice

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here, as i am slowly moving towards total building. At the moment I am just doing set-ups, and i have finished some repairs (a fingerboard replacement on an RG470 for example). I have also refinished a couple of strat bodies, and the results have been pleasing.

Have been checking out luthiery schools options on the web, and would like your advice as to whether these schools have anything concrete to offer. Roberto Venn and Galloup seem to be the "deluxe" options, but do they really teach you anything that a few hundred dollars of stewmac dvd and some honest ingenuity can't? Is the solo option a formative experience, or actually a waste of effort when the knowledge could be gained from a professional instructor?

Normally i wouldn't ask and just leap in, but chance has put $x0,000 in the bank and i now can choose my options, rather than necessity being the mother of invention.

All comments, advice, opinions welcome, no limits to this thread.

Check out Midwest Guitar

As for why a school rather than a DVD and your own ingenuity? 1) It is always nice to have somebody to ask questions of. It can save a ton of time, not mention sanity. 2) Why reinvent the wheel? You might think: "Why not do it this way?" And the answer might be that "it has been tried and the results were such & such." The Fender Stratocaster is the shape it is for a reason. 3) TOOLS!!!! Lots and lots of tools. 4) Learn theory as well as application.

Guitar Ed

Opinions are like @ssholes. And I just showed you mine.

I must say, this forum has become the equivalent of a "Teach Yourself To Make A Guitar" school, with the added benefit of the afformentioned "person(s) to ask questions of". No one builder here would claim to be good enough to say they qualify as a "Master Builder", yet the sum of the knowledge contained here is just that. Delving through the quantities of material found in the tutorials, along with the ever handy search function should guide anyone with the basic sense to know which side of a saw to apply to the wood to make a kerf the full ability to build a guitar from the ground up. And that includes how to wind your own pup's using your kid's Leggo's!!!! If that wasn't enough, you have a pool of experienced amateurs and professional builders who come to this site specifically to answer your (my) dumb newb questions :D (there are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions! :D .

A school may sound like a great idea, but really, what more are you going to get there that isn't available here? One-on-one? PM the guys, you'll get you question answered.

My $.02? Buy more wood to practice on, read the tutorials, use the search function, use the hell out of these guys who know what they're doing, and send the tuition money you would have spent to Brian to make this site even better than it already is.

B)

As guitar Ed would say "Opinions are like assholes, and I just showed you mine" :D

Thanks for the opinions guys...

I'd love to hear from any graduates of some of the larger schools - someone who would like to tell the forum what really happens at these schools. All I got is the marketing spiel by the schools themselves.

Anyone insider tales???

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've given the forum a couple of weeks, but no-one took the bait.

This could mean that after graduating from luthiery school, you just don't need to come to forums like this (no disrespect to the forum, but kudos to the teachers and graduates)

Any thoughts?

Come on trained guys, let us in on a few secrets about these schools....

Well I've given the forum a couple of weeks, but no-one took the bait.

This could mean that after graduating from luthiery school, you just don't need to come to forums like this (no disrespect to the forum, but kudos to the teachers and graduates)

Any thoughts?

Come on trained guys, let us in on a few secrets about these schools....

Do you mean that after you get through school you can quit learning? I guess you could coast by like that but it doesn't show much of a passion. The best in any field never stop learning.

There is a wealth of talent here and other forums. I don't think there is anyone that can't gain from the knowledge and inspiration available. This place (and others) is the most important tool I have as a struggling hack and I don't ever foresee ever being good enough to stop absorbing the offerings here.

I've found the graduation and experience as a mechanical engineer very applicable, together with experience in wood (and other materials) working. This gives far more knowledge of the technology of mechanical and general material science together with production knowhow than you can get in luthiery schools.

I might even be more free when choosing materials or how I choose to design my guitars - and also regarding production methods.

This (and other) forums on the internet is though very usefull for getting information on how things are done traditionally, together with many books covering the practical side of guitar building/ luthiery. Members here have different experience from different kind of professions - making us able to find alternative methods and actually develop the art of guitar building.

(Remember What Leo Fender did - he created the Strat based on available production and building technology at the time - it was simple and efficient in every detail- and has been a money maker through 50 years)

...but I can hardly call myself a luthier or a "Master Builder" as dcamp67 is saying... :D