uniformed guitar player tryin to lay out a bass

ok,

im workin on a bass design, i posted a few pics a couple month ago, im still in the design process so things can change but, i have no clue as to where to place the pickup, im goin with p bass style split pickups i guess you call em, i checked the pbass plan i have and the pickup location on my design would be like right ontop on the neck and it seems outta place there, o some specs to help out, 34" scale 24 fret neck thru etc etc, so is there like a certain place where i should be puttin the pickups or should i just center it inbetween the bridge and 25th fret, o and sorry for my ignorance i play guitars not bass, another stupid question should the pups be recessed into the body at all

MzI

The pickups are placed at a certain spot for the proper sound that they're supposed to make. It's not a good thing to place them somewhere else. Take a picture of a P-bass somewhere and calculate where the pups are installed. You should install them in the same spot.

should the pups be recessed into the body at all

If by that you mean that you want to bolt them directly on top of the body that's also a no-no. The height is ajustable with screws just like any other single coil or humbucker pup. I'm afraid you'll have to do those routs :D

To make your life easier just think of a bass as a big-ass guitar and make the same preparations you would do if you were to build a guitar. i.e. check your templates, dimensions, make sure where the routs need to be ect...

thanx for the info, im defly not affraid of the routes for the pups i have no problems doin that i just dont know anything bout bass guitars, i dont have one or play one so im very unknowledgable in this particular area

another stupid question how would the pickups be adjustable if there is no pickguard or pup rings around it

MzI

i like that foam idea seems like it would work good and springs are always a pain to hold the pickups down so ill look into the foam,

on another note i figured out my pickup position, so now the whole thing is layed out and my plan in all drawn, i just hafta make another copy of it and its on to the template building tonight

MzI

i would post pics but, a couple things,

1. im not done with my V yet

2. i dont have any wood or any hardware for that matter

and 3. this doesnt hafta be done til next june or so

i could post pics of the plans tho so everyone can see my design which ill prolly do later tonight or tomarrow night when i get a chance

MzI

Looking at my basses, i would assume you adjust them just by the screws. I've never thought about that before.

This pic from warmoth indicates that you can put a piece of foam between the body and pickup... but it seems kinda sketchy if you ask me SingCoilDiag2.gif

probably wrong again,

Tim

Wonder how it would sound if you put a block of wood in place of the foam.

The idea with the foam is that it provides upward pressure against the screws, so that the pickup can be adjusted. If the foam couldn't squish, this wouldn't work. Wood can't squish.

There was a debate about direct mounting, however. Presumably, you could rout the cavity just deep enough that the pickup simply screws down to the wood at the right height. There's a long thread about this method; use the search feature.