Bolt on neck attachment.

I'm building my first guitar and I've been wondering what the simplest and least expensive way to bolt or screw the neck onto the guitar is without sacrificing quality. The neck is a strat style neck and wont be angled at all. Hopefully I'll be able to get everything from Home Depot.

Basically, is it easier to use ferruls or a neck plate.

If ferruls are easier, what size do I get them and what size screws do I get.

If a neck plate is easier, what size scews do I get and how thick do I make the neck plate (I could probably make my own neck plate.)

While I'm here, has anyone tried the dyes from International Luthiers supply (and what about the $6 pickups, i'm sceptical)

Thanks in advance.

the simplest and least expensive way to bolt or screw the neck onto the guitar

4 washers and 4 screws. That's what I have on my Ibanez SR800le

I like ferrules better. Get them from LMII or stewmac (one size fits all) while you're there grab the neck screws at the same time.

You can buy a neck plate at stewmac for a couple of bucks too.

It's pretty much a question of what you like best. They're both pretty cheap and easy to install.

I bought the LMII powdered dyes and never got them to work properly. So I ended up buying stewmac's liquid dyes and I love them.

The only issue I have with wood screws is that you can't detach and reattach the neck too many times or the holes get worn out.

If you (or a friend/neighbor/local woodshop) have a set of taps, you can actually tap holes in a maple neck and use 10-24 stainless bolts. It doesn't wear out, is remarkably strong, looks really classy, and gives you a nice tight joint. The bolts only cost a little more than screws, and are much more durable.

This matters to me because my truss rod adjustment is at the heel so to turn it I need to remove the neck; this might not matter to you.