My Next Hybrid, Fretless

burstingflamedmapletop.jpg

That may be the top for my next bass... Oh yeah, I got that top for $25 from Ebay. some of the figuring is actually caused by burls that are very apparent on the edges. Anyways, it just occured to me that this natural edge in the BM could be used as a mini soundhole- as they usually mini on chambered instruments. However on chambered instruments they are usually not in the middle of the body but usually along the upper edge. How do you all think this would look- like I used a piece of wood that shouln't be used for a top or- sweet because the natural edge has been put to a unique use?

Looks really sweet! I dunno how big it all is but what if you cut it in half, then used it as a soundhole. Look at my edited picture via the link.

link

-Jamie

Edited by sepultura999

MKG,

Your probably right and there is little chance if any that I would do that with this piece, however incorporating a natural edge into an instrument would be pretty neat. PUlling off cleanly would be pretty hard though, a natural edge with a more rounded shape could work as a sound hole?!?! If one was able to use the natural edge on the profile of the guitar it could be cool. All of this is just sort of brainstorming on something different, whether or not it is actually practical to do, or to look at is another matter.