Override Switch

Hey,

This is my first post so be kind :D

Since I visited this site for the first time, this was last week, I've commited myself into building my own guitar as soon as I can afford it / feel secure to do it. While planing on the possible models I could base on, it came to me an idea. I one saw a review to a Yamaha model, not sure but It was some baritone model supposed to be tuned to B,anyway, this model had this switch that overrided the settings you had, I mean imagine you were playing with your neck pickup at half volume, if you fliped the switch it would switch to bridge pickup FULL VOLUME!! That is really cool and very handy for the kind of music I play... Is there anyway I can buy this switch or make on to put it on my up and coming Custom homemade Guitar?

:D Welcome to the forum Pistantan

This post save's me from starting it down in Brian's mail bag B)

Anyway I think (I'm not positive) that what your going after is a variation of this wiring mod.

I think that mod is also possible by using concentric pots to change your output (by push pull instead of flipping a switch), just depends on if we can get a skillful wiring tech in here. to explain it all to you.

That's an interesting idea.

I've been rewiring guitars for many years and I've never done an override switch like that.

What I have done is replace the middle tone pot on the strat with a rotary switch which works with the middle position of the 5-pos toggle. All kinds of weird things are possible there. But, the 1st and 5th positions are the "default" neck and bridge PU's.

I like the idea of overriding the volume knob as well. That's a cool idea.

That's an interesting idea.

I've been rewiring guitars for many years and I've never done an override switch like that.

What I have done is replace the middle tone pot on the strat with a rotary switch which works with the middle position of the 5-pos toggle. All kinds of weird things are possible there. But, the 1st and 5th positions are the "default" neck and bridge PU's.

I like the idea of overriding the volume knob as well. That's a cool idea.

Sodowsky guitars has been doing it for years. They call it the "Blower Switch." I'm almost tempted to go to MARS and buy a $200 Yamaha just to take a picture of the wiring :D

Like many Yamahas they came and were put on clearance in like 30 seconds. MARS had them for $199 - $299 a little while back and with everyone selling old MARS inventory at firesale prices you can probably find them cheaper than that. They seemed to be solid guitars similar to hte RG520 and they could be bought in "Drop6" baritone scale length.