Abused Blues #2

NotYou

This guitar has been in progress for a long time. I put it on hold for a while and worked on other projects until I felt comfortable with where it was headed. I'm thrilled with how it came out.

I took a torch to the wood. My original intention was to just make a sunburst style design, but I decided to go all out and really have at it, causing the wood to check and burn deeply. Interestingly, there was a noticeable difference in tone when tapping on the wood after I burnt it. It sounded much more clear and warm.

The overall tone is amazing. This is undoubtably my favorite sounding guitar yet. I'm going to have a hard time giving it up.

Here is the info from the website:

Info:

This isn't a relic or a theme guitar. I believe things don't need to be shiny and pretty to be aesthetically pleasing and I wanted this guitar to emphasize the "other side" of beauty. Everything on this guitar is heavily and thoroughly distressed. The wood was burnt with a torch before being finished and even the finish was distressed. All the hardware has been aged and worn, even the frets.

It may look haphazard, but actually takes me significantly longer to make a great guitar look this decrepit than it does to make something shiny.

Sound & Playability:

I wanted the tone of this guitar to match the visual style and I think it sounds as smokey and organic as it looks. The overall tone is woody and buttery warm, yet surprisingly snappy for a semi-hollow guitar. It's very dynamic and capable of many unique tones. The pickups can be split into single coils by pulling the tone knob for even more variety.

Like all of my guitars, I want this instrument to inspire the player. I tried to make every aspect look, feel, and sound as natural as possible

Photo gallery is HERE.

Webpage is HERE.

3.jpg

10_1.jpg

16_1.jpg

14_1.jpg

9.jpg

Edited by NotYou

Is this a new shape for you, CP? (How does one ask if this is new for you to someone named NotYou)? :D

I really really like the proportions and the subtlety of what you've done to both horns and cuts and that goes for that nice little curve on the headstock as well. Your artistic talents and eye for balance are in evidence.

I'm not sure the distressed and charcoal aspects are up my alley....but I get it.

Your discription of the sound is very much to my taste, I'd love to hear it.

SR

I made some wallpaper!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21006696/wp2.jpg

Thanks for the comments! I always appreciate it. B)

I like it! Very unique. Scorching wood can bring about some really neat effects.

It has a nice shimmer in person. The parts that just got a little toasted took on a bit of a honey color when finished. I love the changes it made to the tone :P

Is this a new shape for you, CP? (How does one ask if this is new for you to someone named NotYou)? B)

I really really like the proportions and the subtlety of what you've done to both horns and cuts and that goes for that nice little curve on the headstock as well. Your artistic talents and eye for balance are in evidence.

I'm not sure the distressed and charcoal aspects are up my alley....but I get it.

Your discription of the sound is very much to my taste, I'd love to hear it.

SR

I've used this shape before a couple times. It's actually my most popular shape. I'm not sure why I don't use it that much. It's my most functional shape too as it's very easy to sculpt the heel and reach the upper frets.

I made this knowing some people wouldn't like it. Pretty much all of my work is like that. I love reading the comments when my stuff appears on other forums. It really gets a polarized love/hate reaction. Very few people are in the middle. Vintage guitar guys tend to despise me :D

There should be a video soon for Destroy All Guitars. I don't know when, but it should be soon. I think this is my favorite sounding guitar yet. I really want to get some samples out there.

Wicked! I guess that the tactile feeling is quite unique when playing it...

Yeah, the whole thing feels unique. The neck feels very worn and is quite thick. I didn't want it to feel new at all. That's really important to me with most of my guitars. I like my guitars to feel like wood after they've been finished, especially the necks.

I can usually get my guitars to even smell natural after being finished. This one smells funny though from all the metal finishing. :D

• 2 weeks later...

It just went up on DAG. :D

I just got around to checking this out. I can see why it's good to be listed here. I couldn't help noticing the listing was for this guitar but the video was for Abused Blues #1. It sounded great, but your description made this one sound like it would have a unique tone that I was looking forward to hearing.

Ah, well.....still very cool.

SR

Thanks.

The plan this time was to release it, then do the video. It sold almost immediately, so we never got a chance to do it, though. I really love how it sounds, so that's kind of disappointing. The guy that bought it records a lot, so I might get lucky, though.

Edited by NotYou

Sweet...like it alot!!

This guitar has been in progress for a long time. I put it on hold for a while and worked on other projects until I felt comfortable with where it was headed. I'm thrilled with how it came out.

I took a torch to the wood. My original intention was to just make a sunburst style design, but I decided to go all out and really have at it, causing the wood to check and burn deeply. Interestingly, there was a noticeable difference in tone when tapping on the wood after I burnt it. It sounded much more clear and warm.

The overall tone is amazing. This is undoubtably my favorite sounding guitar yet. I'm going to have a hard time giving it up.

Here is the info from the website:

Info:

This isn't a relic or a theme guitar. I believe things don't need to be shiny and pretty to be aesthetically pleasing and I wanted this guitar to emphasize the "other side" of beauty. Everything on this guitar is heavily and thoroughly distressed. The wood was burnt with a torch before being finished and even the finish was distressed. All the hardware has been aged and worn, even the frets.

It may look haphazard, but actually takes me significantly longer to make a great guitar look this decrepit than it does to make something shiny.

Sound & Playability:

I wanted the tone of this guitar to match the visual style and I think it sounds as smokey and organic as it looks. The overall tone is woody and buttery warm, yet surprisingly snappy for a semi-hollow guitar. It's very dynamic and capable of many unique tones. The pickups can be split into single coils by pulling the tone knob for even more variety.

Like all of my guitars, I want this instrument to inspire the player. I tried to make every aspect look, feel, and sound as natural as possible

Photo gallery is HERE.

Webpage is HERE.

3.jpg

10_1.jpg

16_1.jpg

14_1.jpg

9.jpg