New project and design upload on the cards. Open discussion.

Prostheta

Hi everyone. I've been snowed under with house hunting the last two months so things have been unseasonably quiet on PG from my end. Sorry about that. There's a lot on the table which is either behind schedule or requires more time spent on it....we'll get to all that later however....

In the meantime, I am just about closing up my 1951-5 P-bass project and hanging 50/50 on whether or not to build a second bass, fully documented. I'd rather go with the latter however it would require additional financial input in terms of hardware. Quite a hit which I can't really justify, given I'm hoping to kickstart an independent workshop for PG....

Anyway. I have two bitsa projects which I think will mash together nicely. A Khaya neck originally intended for a 7-string version of the JSV Flying V (plan in the Downloads section) which is going spare plus an Alder Aria Pro II-style ZZ Explorer body which was going to be a bass. I put both parts against each other yesterday and I think a nice reverse headstock compound scale Explorer-type guitar will be in the works. Spare hardware kicking around includes a set of eight white TUSQ VS-100 saddles plus perhaps a Kingwood fingerboard. Short of the tuners and pickup(s) we're golden.

Any suggestions on design aspects or changes to the ones I am suggesting are welcome. It would be fantastic to make this more collaborative, even down to how each working step is carried out. Unfortunately both workpieces are at the stage of being outline shaped, scarfed, bevelled, etc. so we're already a lot of the way there....

Off the back of this I imagine it should be eminently possible to develop a "how to design a compound scale" article. The underlying theory is deceptively simple....

• 2 weeks later...