Have a Few Ideas and Looking for Feedback

medic82

As I mentioned earlier, I love my pointies, and I'm in the process of drawing up comprehensive CAD plans for my upcoming build (also my first build) of a neck-thru, either a Jackson KV-2 clone, or a custom design using the KV-2 as a starting point .  One complication I've heard with building neck-thru V's is clamping the wings to the neck blank.  This makes perfect sense.  My idea for combating this problem is to use dowels or biscuits to carefully align the wings to the neck blank, and then use pocket screws located in areas that will be cut off or routed out (i.e., pup routes, FR top and bottom routes, and by possibly leaving a little extra material past where the heel  will be shaped).  These could still be aided with a few jigged up clamps.

I am also curious whether gluing up the scarf with a sort of "finger joint" would help strengthen the joint.  My neck blank is a 5-ply, with a 1.125" hard maple center flanked by 0.125" walnut, and 0.75" hard maple as the outermost boards.

I would appreciate any feedback from some more experienced builders.

Finger joints are not really necessary, although they do create a massively-increased gluing area and excellent mechanical strength. More than is necessary however. Scarf joints are a satisfactory improvement over single-piece headstocks and easy to execute. If you're an especially skilled-and-tooled woodworker and have experience in producing high quality finger joints (say, from across a spindle moulder) then by all means try it. Visually it is not appealing however. They're more often seen as oddities or "proof of concept" (not that proof is required from ready-proven techniques) than as something useful and positive to a project. Stick with a scarf unless you want to hang off a bridge supported only by your headstock. Even then, a scarf is still good...we won't go into shear load calculations, promise...

Dowels, biscuits or some other way of locating the body is a valid and useful technique. If it helps, then go for it. Only the purists tend to frown on this, but you won't find any around here! :D