Schecter Omen-6 Upgrade

Here is my most recent "build". Well, I got some help - I don't have a router and didn't think I needed one just for the one job.IMG_2265.JPG.b7dd91613c2006cbcfe235d2938c9cc4.JPG

It's all pretty standard - take out the original pickups, remove the tone control, replace the bridge pickup with a Fishman Fluence Modern Humbucker connected to a push/pull volume pot, with added kill switch. I'd cover the space where the tone control used to be, but I really can't be bothered. You can see the battery for the pickup through the hole, which is held inside the main cavity with a velcro dot.

The influence for the setup comes from the Schecter Balsac The Jaws 'O Death "JAW" guitar.

balsac-jaw-2015-tilt.png.76968d41ad652382bfdcf68c98aa246f.png

Which as shown here, has the Fluence pickup, the volume and kill switch. However, what it doesn't have is the "left-handed" feature, which is quite critical for me when buying guitars. Still, even after the costs of the guitar, electronics, minor routing work (the output jack is slightly larger than what I had before), I have essentially saved myself around $1000. It might not be my own design, but I've made it my own.

Left-handed is always a problem for people. Do the logos on pickups ever annoy you with their "handedness", such as EMGs, Fluence, etc.? Whilst it can be freely acknowledged that there is a smaller market for lefties than righties, making products unnecessarily handed is a bit hmmm.....

38 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Left-handed is always a problem for people. Do the logos on pickups ever annoy you with their "handedness", such as EMGs, Fluence, etc.? Whilst it can be freely acknowledged that there is a smaller market for lefties than righties, making products unnecessarily handed is a bit hmmm.....

It should, but I only just noticed now that my pickup is technically upside down, so I guess not. Either way, it has to sit in the body so the wiring is 'comfortable' and if it was facing the other way the wires would be folded under the pickup. I doubt that would be good. The new pickup is also in the same position as the one that was in there when I bought it, facing the same way as the guitar logo on the headstock.

If a guitars 'handedness' was more easily noticeable, it would save me a lot of time walking into guitar stores. Two seconds at the window instead of five minutes walking up an aisle and back.

14 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I'm going to teach my nephew to play guitar right-handed to try and save him from all that annoyance later in life. He seems more or less ambi at the moment though, but favours his left occasionally.

If you can play left-handed and teach him to mirror everything you're doing, learning right-handed shouldn't be a problem.

I feel like the toughest part of learning guitar from scratch is the fret hand. I'm right handed and I had to train my left hand to do spectacular things. (haha) So a southpaw should catch on sooner from scratch give the same amount of exposure to the instrument no? Just a crazy idea I have.

3 hours ago, bileshake said:

I feel like the toughest part of learning guitar from scratch is the fret hand. I'm right handed and I had to train my left hand to do spectacular things. (haha) So a southpaw should catch on sooner from scratch give the same amount of exposure to the instrument no? Just a crazy idea I have.

Maybe. My right hand has no problem finding chords once I know them and the same is true for my left. However, my right hand is practically dead when it comes to picking or strumming. It's like when you pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time and if you don't concentrate eventually both hands will try to copy each other.

I guess I *could* concentrate in order to play right handed, but sometimes you've got to let yourself do what comes naturally in order to enjoy it. At least, that's how I feel.