My pot plans

Alright, so I'm planning on getting a carvin bolt on kit and here are my plans for it. I'm curious to know of your opinons. I may be getting some aftermarket parts from stewmac as I'm not sure if carvin will give me all of the parts as the pickguard for the kit is prewired. So basically I may be doing some minor surgeries to the pickguard wiring. here's the plan.

I'll get a 500k push pull volume pot and use the switch for splitting the neck and bridge humbuckers. Then I'll get another push pull pot for the tone and use it's switch for a series/parallel switch. Then the one single DPDT switch I get I'll use as a kill switch.

What do you think? Does this sound like a good plan, or should I change or add other things on?

well it sunds like a good plan ... But I question to actual "user friendly" quality of the axe. It sounds like you will need to do a lot of pushing.. and pulling to get the different sound out of it. But hey if that's what you are looking for.... more power to you... I think I would need a diagram to remember what is going on with the push / pull pots.. and then a kill switch..... But that's just me..... simple.... But it does sound like a good plan..... I hope it all goes well....

Yeah I guess I don't need a DPDT switch for the kill. Sorry, I'm fairly new to the wiring world. The need for the kill switfch is this. I play a lot of praise and worship music, and if we are praying or something in between songs I can simply flick the switch to eradicate any possible feedback and then switch it back on afterwards.

Regarding the push pull pot user friendly part, I don't see what my other options would be. I could drill into the pickguard for more switches but other than that I don't know what i can do to get the options I want. Do you have any suggestions?

well... a noise gate sounds like what you are looking for... whether you us a switch... a stomp box, or just the volume pot.... you are looking to cut out total noise for a period of time. Push pull pots IMO always seemed kind of clumsy..... to pull up on a pot... then push down... adjust the vol correctly while doing so... it just seems a lot of acrobatics .... But thats just me ....... Cutting out yout input or sound can be achieved many way... it comes down to what is best and easier for you to operate. I think all the bells and whistles you have (switchs within switches) lwould leave me with a ? in my head. I would get into the music / jam/ session ... and forget where I was with the controls on the ax while playing (short memory span)... but hey ... whatever floats your boat. Noise gates work... turning down the vol works to... wiring in a toggle switch will do the same.... It's all a matter of prefrence... .

I just put that exact wiring in a customer's Thinline. I swaped the switch for a LP switch and installed it from the back in the traditional LP position. This was almost necessary to free up the necessary real estate for another knob. It was the first time I used Push Pulls. Each p/u had it's own volume, and could split the coils. The tone knob switched from parallel to series. A bunch of great sounds.. Perfect for studio work. But on stage it's more of finding a sound you like and sticking with it.. perhaps a few changes here and there.

If you don't use a tuner pedal, go get one. beyond the obvious benefit..they can kill the signal for you.

Let me know as you get closer to wiring and we'll go over the details.

FYI: if you're new to wiring - this is a lot to bite off. But a little practice and you'll have no problem.

Yeah I have a friend who built his own guitar except for the neck helping me build mine and so i should be ok in the wiring department. As to remembering each switch, that's not a rpoblem. i have a really good memory and I doubt I'd be changing the settings too much on stage. maybe in between songs and such, but I have fairly adept hands as I also make chainmail. thanks for all the help, and I'm glad that it seems my plan sounds good except for some peoples dislike of push-pull pots.