Got the idea for my bass guitar!

I'll shrink the pic and repost it after a change or two. Looks like my neck pickup will be uncomfortably close to the outline of the body, so I'll move the bridge back toward the mouth a little. I really should have put the pickups on before sketching the body though. DOH!!

I'll carve the body contours same as a real largemouth but flattened out a bit. The fins will be thick at the bases and taper as they get away from the body. Not too thin, but enough to prevent a flat cutout look to the outline. And since the bridge will be back near the mouth, I'll give it the right shape for a gill cover. I'll put the output jack inside the mouth so the cord will be like a fishing line, lol! I have a nice piece of lignum vitae for the fingerboard (fretless), which is a yellowish greenish color. Should look perfect on a yellow/green fish. The back of the neck will probably be black, but I may go natural wood. I'll have to think about that some more. The headstock right now is sort of a PRS that has less curve to it. It works pretty well and I may try to make that end look like a guitar and not part of the fish. I may change that all around too after I draw some tuners on it.

Hmmm, just thought about control knobs. That could be a challenge. Sliders up on to of the dorsal fin maybe? Maybe just some miniature low profile knobs in the normaml location for convenience? Any suggestions on that?

Funny thing is I don't draw well. First I took the neck dimensions and drew them out on AutoCad along with the strings and bridge so I could design around the mechanical part, then I looked around for bass pictures on the internet so I could see where to put the fins. Didn't find a whole lot, but I had some idea of what I needed anyway. Then I took out my pencil and the thing just said DRAW ME! Took about a minute and there it was.

I'd like to see that Jackson, I looked around for fish guitars annd didn't find a single one even though I know I saw a shark guitar once somewhere.

You could get some carving inspiration from this guy; he hasn't done a fish yet, but when you do it, he'd probably like some pics.

Also, is this going to be carved from basswood? :DB):D

I was thinking, a single P pickup would look great on this thing, especially something with a nice thumpy vintage tone; maybe seymour duncan?

Also, two black round top knobs on the lower fin nearest the normal knob position would look good:

bassbass.jpg

It's a fish! It's a guitar! No, it's both at once! haha. So ok I'll play bass. Say it either way, it's still right.

I thought about mixing it up too. A fin here, mouth there, tail curved in a semicircle like it's jumping out of the water, face on like you're looking down the fish's throat...Just turns out that bass'(fish) nearly anatomically correct fin size and placement work out nicely so that it should be comfortable to play sitting or standing. Movin the bridge farther back will only improve balance on the strap, and I don't plan on playing above the 12th fret position too much so if the body starts to taper in at that point it should be fine anyway.

OOH! I found a better pic, the one I wish I had in the fiirst place...fishy.jpg

I don't know about the pickups. That looks good but I have a whole bass that begs to be recreated and it happens to have those long soapbars. So I get to choose...spend more money and just add a bass, or adapt the parts I have and change it around? I also don't know enough about the sound that I want to have later to be sure a single P-pickup is going to suit me. I'm still pretty much a beginning player. Here's my donor guitar. mybass.jpg

Skibum, will I be limiting my tone much by using the setup you drew for me? Would that be a good combo for a fretless five string with flatwounds? ( say THAT 5 times fast!)

Edit-Doug's stuff is very cool! I love the way he transforms stock bodies into high art. I especially like what he did with those SG's. Thanks for the link.

Basswood....is it possible to carry a joke too far? hmmm

Given that setup on the current bass, you'd be losing quite a bit of versatility. Two pickups will always have more versatility than one, but you can make some alterations to best find max versatility. First, go for a bartolini P bass pickup and preamp. They have a great tone to begin with. Second, instead of having single pots, use concentric (stacked) pots, with Volume/bass and Treble/mid. Keep the look, but have a LOT more versatility. A P-bass pickup will have its distinct tone, but if you use a high quality pup like a Bart and have a 3 band EQ, you'll get a lot of that versatility back.

Also, make it out of alder. It's a clear, distinct tone and you'll have a lot of versatility with it. It's supposedly easy to carve too.

PS Sell that bass as is, or parted out, instead of using it as a donor. It'll let you choose exactly your look and sound without being limited to what you already have on hand.

PPS I also like the back fin as headstock idea!

Whew! Ok there went about 3 hours playing with this on the CAD system. So when I start cutting I can do any or all of the shaping on the CNC machine, as well as locate holes, control cavities, or whatever is inconvenient to do by hand. Or I may just let the machine cut it to save time.

I only moved the body about a quarter inch and the pickups are drawn to correct size and in the exact location as they are on the existing brown bass. I think the knobs will look good if I can find some nice round dome chrome ones so they look like bubbles. I thought about putting the controls in the mouth, but I think having everything within easy reach will be worth having them show. They should look pretty good to me anyway. At this point I'm planning on putting the output jack on the back side of the body and installing a big brass hook in the mouth for the strap attachment. I'll redraw that peghead a few more times before I cut anything too. Maybe I'll put all 5 tuners on one side and try to make it look like a fin as was suggested. I didn't want to do that really, but so far everything I've tried seems to look like an Ibanez to me and I'd rather not. Maybe a 4+1 on a fin setup...I'll work on it more tomorrow :D

It's getting there!

cadbass.jpg

abalone inlay for the eye??

Oooh, I think I like that idea. I was planning on of carving it and painting it black, but that sounds pretty good.

Anyone have experience with inlay on guitar bodies? I'm concerned that a clear coat covering everything might crack at the inlay. Maybe I'll need to cut the socket, paint including clear and buff, then insert the polished abalone eye. That could work, and I could give it some nice contour at the same time. What's the taxidermist do on their fish trophies? Maybe I just need to buy a fisheye!

After everything is together on the new bass I'll talk to you about the woodgrained body if you're interested Doc. It's an Ibanez EDB 690 which means it's made of a material they call Luthite. I call it plastic.

Couple more hours into the project, still all in the CAD stage. I think I'm just about there, nothing really glares at me as being a problem now other than the fact that I went for the painfully obvious tailfin for the headstock. What can I say, it just works. I can blow any of it up for detail if there any concerns or construction pointers. I think I still need to work on the neck/head transition and the nut area but I'll study those closer on the other basses tomorrow.

I'd really like to get some feedback at this point because I'm about ready to start cutting. See anything wrong with the design? Any suggestions at all?

bass2view.jpg

I liked the headstock better with the two top, three bottom design. Also, the inlay can go under the clear coat. If alembic does it, it's got to work well. Overall, I like the design. It'd be cool if you took it to a taxidermist before you clearcoated it to have the whole thing recolored like an actual fish, just like they do on trophy fishes. It'd look better than just plain black IMHO. If you feel like going WAY overboat, it'd be cool to actually carve scale contours in it.

I'll keep looking at it for a while. I have no deadline, so there's no point in rushing anything. At this point I like the new headstock design better and intend to use that. Funny how I seem unable to get away from established headstock feel. Sort of went from Ibanez to Warwick feeling to my eye. At least this one works well concerning the balance of contours between the mouth and tail. Maybe rotating the tuners around will help things along.

For the finish, it will be painted up to look like a real bass(fish), but I won't be carving any scales. I want the surface to be smooth with a satin finish. I have full time pro artist who is going to make it look just right. I may have to visit a taxidermist if this guy says he has to charge me though, because I sure can't afford him!

I was only talking about the eyeball when I said I was going to carve it and paint it black :D