Painting a solid color

G_urr_A

I've got a guitar body made from birch that needs painting now. As it is, it's just the wood, plain and unfinnished. What I want in the end is a dark green solid color. I want to apply the paint using a brush. Now, what steps need to be taken to get the wood ready for finnishing, and what layers of finnish need to go on the guitar?

And, for the "(and language)"-part of the thread title, I'm from Sweden, so if you say I should apply some, let's say, "grain filler", that tells me about as much as if I'd ask you to go eat a "bläckfiskarm" or "ålöga" :D , so if you could describe what the purpose and characteristics of everything that would be greatly appreciated.

The only things I've really understood and could do right now are applying the color coats and the clear, but I would think that something needs to be under that, right?

ok well, basically from my limited understanding

you'll need sanding sealer first to seal the body, then a primer coat (usually white), then your actual colour, then the clear afterwards

and after a coat of anything you want to do a little sanding with very fine wetsanding paper to get it flat again, and then you may want to put on more coats

i believe the clear usually has between 3 and 10ish coats sometimes plenty more :D

and the colour paint you just need a few coats until you get a solid enough colour out of it, oh and the sanding sealer, maybe 2 or so? just til you know it's thoroughly sealed

i'm probably wrong, someone correct me B)

oh, and just let me know any words you didn't understand, i'll try and explain them

If "grain filler" didn't mean anything to him, I doubt much of that post did. B)

OK, I don't know anything about finishes, but I know what grain filler is, so I'll describe it:

If you look at your wood, depending on the kind of wood it is, there will be little "holes" (or "pores" if you have a Swedish-to-English dictionary) in it. If you just try to paint over top of that, you will always be able to see little bumps in your paint job.

SO, people fill in the little holes with a special substance/putty/glue called "grain filler" which makes the surface flat, and elminates the little holes. If you go to a wood/hardware store, they will know what you are talking about. Some people on Project guitar do not use traditional "grain filler" because it actually changes size over time, shrinking a bit. There are a variety of things our members use, including CA, which I don't know what that stands for, but it's basically a type of glue.

Hope that helps a bit. Somebody else feel free to correct what I've said and provide missing details. :D

Greg

Yeah, as KI said, my English is not what's stopping me, it's the actual weird names.

The info that's been given has helped a lot so far. A few more questions though.

1. Is the grain filler and sanding sealer you guys mention the same thing or are they different from eachother?

2. This grain filler/sanding sealer, could you use what you use in most other types of woodworking or are there any special requirements? Minimal shrinking seems to be something you'd wish for. Anything else?

3. Any requirements on the solvents in the paints?

Oh, and the CA glue you mention would be what's in Swedish called "cyanoakrylat-lim".

I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to help! It's very much appreciated!

Grainfiller and sanding sealer are different. Dont put the sanding sealer on before you fill in those cracks or holes in the body lol. I use stuff from home depot, but u dont live in america rite?. I think any sanding sealer and grain filler would be good. Just not waterbased grainfiller. Im not sure about the requirments

Ok, that, I think, concludes this session of asking questions. Thanks alot for all the answers, guys!!! And thanks for your patience! I guess I'll revive this thread if I need anything... Once again, thanks!