base guitar novice

rogerdaltry33

B) I have just got a base guitar and an amp. However i do not know where to start learning how to play i mean i can't read tabs well at all. I don't know if chords exist or base. I mean would all you others out there suggest i get lessons to get me the basic knowledge to build opon. However i was wondering is there various sites which would enable me to do this for free?

Really do need a reply because i realy am feeling guilty having me new base up in me room and not being able to do anything with it. :D

reading tab is fairly simple

-i aint sure on the string names for bass, as i dont play it, but the higher it is on the staff (the 4 lines) the higher the string

-the numbers are the frets you play, for example:

-----------0-0-------

---------0----0------

-------0--------0----

-----0------------0--

just open going up all the strings, the bottom one, is your low string, the top one is your high string, you can probaly figure out the middle ones

a good spot for tabs is www.powertabs.net

but you need the power tab software to run them, its a free download and it is DEFINETLY worth the time to do it, I am not quite sure where I go it though, but it will get posted

some bass sites, from what i have seen on this site:

www.bassicly.com (i think thats it, might have spelt it wrong)

www.wholenote.com (it might only be guitars, I havent looked for bass before, but its a worth taking a look)

Hope this helps!!

Best of luck

Curtis

first of all base is spelled BASS, as for tabs (more in depth than curtis's explanation)

first of all, the bottom line on tabs is the top (lowest pitch) string on the bass, and the top line is the bottom (highest pitch) string on the bass. There are numbers on the tabs and these numbers represent which fret (they are the medal parts on the neck, to fret a note, push your finger down as hard as you can right BEHIND the medal, once you get used to it, u dont have to press as hard as possible) the number means which one you play. For example if the tabs say

-----------

-----------

-------4-2

3-3-3-----

then you would play this (1 being the first note to play, 2 the second, etc.)

N-------|--------|--------|-------|-----------------

U-------|--------|--------|-------|-----------------

T-------|---5----|--------|---4--|-----------------

| -------|--------|-1-2-3|-------|-------------------

..........^1st fret^2nd ^3rd ^4th ...............................

Hey! im also a bassist :D

my favriote sites are

www.bassically.net (more advanced)

www.activebass.com (greeeat site)

www.victorwooten.com (has very intresting stuff and fun to learn)

http://www.aic.se/basslob/ (one of my favriotes, very simple easy to learn stuff here)

Welcome to the fourms, and good luck with the bassin.

Here's a couple more helpful sites:

http://www.cyberfretbass.com/ (Very helpful for most anyone)

http://www.metronomeonline.com/metronomeon...ault.asp?bhcp=1 (helpful for guitarists too)

My suggestion (FWIW) is to learn the notes on the fretboard first. It should take you a week or two to do that, then you will have it made. Once you know where the notes are you can pick out your chords and arpeggios with ease. All you have to do then is train your fingers to go to the right spot - that takes a while........

I'd also recommend getting a decent instructor that will walk you through the basics. Heck, I'm 40 and I still take lessons!! It's worth every buck to me because I learn more every time.

Not being faecetious - but learn to get the instrument in tune - get an electronic tuner and use it.

Once, that's there, listen to some of your favourite music and just play along anything at all - playing your bass will help you identify what the bass player on the recrding is doing - listen for notes of the same pitch as yours plays. then, try to find the same notes he or she plays, and where they are on YOUR bass.

This should give you an ear for where the stuff you're interested in is in terms of the sound of the notes.

But remember no instrument is easy to play well, but perhaps bass is the easiest to start on.