Can you clear over Kiwi polish relicing?

espnut2

I'm just wondering, if you're making a "relic" why would you want to clear over any of it? doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of making a "relic" (which I've never really understood anyway)

Anyway, as to the question, you can actually clear over wax with 2 part urethanes but you have to use a fisheye reducer which is basically a silicon based additive. The downside to that is you don't get as good of adhesion of the paint and you also need to add it to every single coat if you continue to put more paint on.

I'm just wondering, if you're making a "relic" why would you want to clear over any of it?  doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of making a "relic" (which I've never really understood anyway)

Clear does'nt necessarily mean 'gloss'...the clear I used on my relic'd neck is an oil-flat satin...used on furniture. Gave a nice dull sheen with protection and 'clear'needed over the dry dull neck amber.

Relic's are just another 'finish' option. Some guys like their guitars shiney and glossy, some like 'em dull, chipped and worn. I like both, so I have the nice ones and the not so nice ones...love 'em all.

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/showalbum.ph...d=2132&uuid=729