Glassy front, but overspray everywhere else?

espnut2

Hello, I am having a bit of trouble getting the same quality of clear on the rest of my guitar body that I got on the front. It laid on nice and smooth on the front, and I understand why (sprayed flat). But, when I clear the front, it oversprays everywhere else and leaves a powdery finish. I hope this isn't too confusing, any ideas?

Thanks!

Are you spraying the whole guitar at once or trying to spray one side, let it dry, and then spray the other side?

You have to spray it all at once, make a fake neck to hang it by and spray the entire guitar while it's all wet, otherwise you will always have overspray. Your only other option is to sand down all the overspray with 2000 and buff it out. You could tape off the rest of the guitar, but that will leave you with an ugly tape edge.

how hot is it when you spray? Laquers have a funny little thing about them in that they don't like to be to warm, conversly there can be major prob's if they're too cold as well. Spray at about 68 to 71F. anything above 80 it will dry WAY to fast and cause problems.

If it's not that warm, I don't really know what else to suggest except try spraying faster :D

I used to have this same overspray problem when spraying clear lacquer. I found that the problems I was having were related to the temps like what was just being discussed, and that my lacquer was drying to fast, so I would add retarder to my mix and that would solve the problem. But I do understand that you are not able to modify your mix when spraying from an aresol can.

Thats very likely why I was having problems earlier this summer. I've seen the extremes, lol. Even as far as the laquer (T-5, automotive clear gloss) bubbling up due to heat buildup on the black finish as well as wrinkling. I had no problems whatsoever when I used the same material on my old EKO archtop in early spring.

Thats very likely why I was having problems earlier this summer. I've seen the extremes, lol. Even as far as the laquer (T-5, automotive clear gloss) bubbling up due to heat buildup on the black finish as well as wrinkling. I had no problems whatsoever when I used the same material on my old EKO archtop in early spring.

What is this T-5 stuff, clear enamel? or poly, I haven't been able to go to the local automotive place to see if there is a solution to using duplicolor clear, I had good experience with the auto enamel and 'am wondering if it's available in clear...

And I had a problem like this with my last guitar... I was getting overspray allover, dustlike, what I did was carefuly shot a very heavy coat for my last one... I was ok, but when it dried I saw the same powder thing all over the back which was the last thing to get painted... 3 days later I tachcloth it and almost all is out. will wait a few weeks to colorsand and polish, hope this will go away, is this the same thisg that was hapening to you? It was with the Krylon triple thick glaze, never had this problem with the Duplicolor brand.

What is this T-5 stuff, clear enamel? or poly, I haven't been able to go to the local automotive place to see if there is a solution to using duplicolor clear, I had good experience with the auto enamel and 'am wondering if it's available in clear...

The stuff I use is called "Super Laquer" made by plasti-kote :D , Mississauga, Ont. Canada. It seems to be the only available brand sold by autobody suppliers around here. Says "T-5 Clear" on the back.They recommend usage between 60 and 80 deg. F (16-27 deg C) and 2 thin coats as opposed to one thick coat.

I did a little search and found some info about Duplicolor that might be of interest. Might give you some insight on how to control this stuff.