Acoustic (piezo?) Problem

feylya

Hopefully someone can sort this. It's for a guy on another forum and it has me comepletely stumped. Here's his post:

Epiphone Pr5e Problem(s)

This is an electro acoustic. I was wondering if anyone else who owns this guitar has noticed that the high E and the B strings are too loud in proportion to the others. It also gives a lot of low-end feed back when you crank it up. This might just be a problem with mine (since its left-handed, and it looks like the pickup they shoved in there is for the RH version), if so does anyone know how I could solve these probs?

Anyone got any ideas?

Feedback at high volume is normal with acoustic electronics in my experience. The higher volume on the E and B is caused by a bad install on the electronics probably. That can also be caused by uneven density in the saddle material. Get a new electronics system with a pro install, and a soundhole plug, and it should solve the issues. Pricy though.

i get at least 2 guitars a month in my shop with this problem. you didn't mention whether or not it was an under saddle type or not but if it is you can quite often solve the problem by pulling the saddle and gently pulling the transducer back into the guitar. drill a hole on the opposite side of the saddle channel and push the transducer back into the saddle chanel running the opposite direction from where it was originally.

i can't explain it but in most cases it balances out..drops the highs and boosts the lows and the mids stay about right...not always but most of the time.

if the guitar doesn't have on board volume and tone controls it's easier to just buy a little equalizer. i use a danelectro fish & chips and it works great on under saddle pickups and sound board transducers.