Pots and Caps

Hotrock

Alright guys, I've just confused mysef and I'm hoping you can help.

I'm going to be buying all my electronic gubbins soon and I've been trawling the sites to find what I need. I'm looking at getting the stuff from axesrus.co.uk

Heres the problems:

1) I've got knobs with a grub screw in, so I need split shaft pots don't I? Just checking :D

2) I'm using the two tone pots (1 for each pup) for switching, The neck pup will be double/single coil split and the bridge will be series/parallel. What rating do these pots need to be? I really haven't a clue B):D

3) While I'm at it, anyone got suggestions on the rating of the vol pots?

4) I've seen a TBX split shaft push/pull pot, they're going on like it's something special, anyone heard of them?

5) Righty O' then, moving swiftly on to Capacitors. I can get some Orange Drop Caps which for all intents and purposes are supposed to be like Gibson Bumble Bees. Is it worth going for these or just normal caps. What's special about them?

6) Finally, whats the audio difference betwen a .022 mF @ 100V and a .022 mF @ 400V cap?

Cheers dudes, I think that's covered everything, I'm off back to my pie and chips now. :D

1. Is a "grub screw" the same as a set screw? If so, your knobs can be used on any type of shaft you want.

As for pots, I believe the rule is 500k (or more) for humbuckers, 250 for singles. I THINK. Wait for someone to back me up.

The Orange Drop caps sound better, I believe is the explanation. In some circuits it matters, but in others it doesn't. I'm not sure which is which, but I'm sure if you posted your diagram, someone could help you out. However, the better caps surely can't hurt anything!

As for pots, I believe the rule is 500k (or more) for humbuckers, 250 for singles. I THINK. Wait for someone to back me up.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but with the coil tapping it's a single and a double coil so...... B):D:D:D

The Orange Drop caps sound better, I believe is the explanation. In some circuits it matters, but in others it doesn't. I'm not sure which is which, but I'm sure if you posted your diagram, someone could help you out. However, the better caps surely can't hurt anything!

Yeah they had better sound better 'cause they're expensive B)

Diagram? He he, not got that far yet. :D

If you're paying much more than 50p for those Orange Drops, do yourself a favor and get the cheap green film caps from Maplins - the Orange Drops are nothing like the old Sprague Bumblebees, which were paper and oil caps that haven't been made since the 50s. Orange Drop refers to either polyester or polypropylene caps that work really well for coupling caps in tube amps (although not as well as Mallory 150s) - they don't offer any real advantage in guitars over standard film caps, and they can be had for about 30p ($0.53US) each in quantity 1 all day long in the states. :D Don't pay for hype. Plenty of great-sounding LPs and SGs shipped with (ugh!) ceramic disc caps.