gold leaf finish

axemannate

Mmmm...gold leeafff...

Clapton had Fender make a special Strat for the Pilgrim tour that was gold-leafed. I remember when I was younger we used gold leaf in arts and crafts for various things. First, you just spread a very thin coat of some kind of tacky adhesive, like contact cement, then you lay down the gold leaf (gold side down) and peel the substrate off. It's kind of tricky and I'd definitely practice on scraps first. But the results can be outstanding, as you can see.

As for finishing, you could probably use any clear poly to protect the gold from scratching.

follow this link http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/ and you'll find several different types of leaf materials. in the catalog index on the left of the home page click on decorative materials. i've been playing around with their varigated leaf lately on some wood work other than a guitar and it's pretty cool.

i've been using these guys for several years now and they have some great products and their service is excellent. i don't own any stock but i know how hard it is sometimes to find reliable mail order stuff.

follow this link http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/ and you'll find several different types of leaf materials. in the catalog index on the left of the home page click on decorative materials. i've been playing around with their varigated leaf lately on some wood work other than a guitar and it's pretty cool.

i've been using these guys for several years now and they have some great products and their service is excellent. i don't own any stock but i know how hard it is sometimes to find reliable mail order stuff.

Great Site, Senor! Thanks a ton. I've just penciled in the 'Gold Leaf' project. :D

MLAR, Cor

the kit that i received had 25 sheets measuring 5.5" x 5.5" which if my math doesn't fail me is 5.25 sq. ft. keep in mind that this stuff is extremely thin and tears very easily so there may be some waste but one kit should be more than enough to completely cover a guitar.